Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red Pen power fading issue

I purchased a red module LOC from another user a while back. I had another user build a pen out of it.

It has a LOC @ ~400ma and a Rkcstr fixed driver.

I had not played with the laser much until today and the laser will stay on full power with fresh batts for about 35s. Then power drops until the red goes out.

I charged a set of batts (10440's) and tried those.. same deal.

I dont know what could be wrong but my initial impressions are that may be the driver is dropping out.

The laser lases strong for 35-40 seconds , the batts are freshly charged, I would think the only other link in the chain is the driver.

Anyone else seen a problem like this?

daguin

I purchased a red module LOC from another user a while back. I had another user build a pen out of it.
It has a LOC @ ~400ma and a Rkcstr fixed driver.
I had not played with the laser much until today and the laser will stay on full power with fresh batts for about 35s. Then power drops until the red goes out.
I charged a set of batts (10440's) and tried those.. same deal.
I dont know what could be wrong but my initial impressions are that may be the driver is dropping out.
The laser lases strong for 35-40 seconds , the batts are freshly charged, I would think the only other link in the chain is the driver.
Anyone else seen a problem like this?

One (or both) of the batteries may be failing. Try a new set.

Another possibility is that there is a poor connection somewhere that is failing with heat (current)

Peace,
dave

I tried 2 sets of batts. total 5 batts in different combinations.

The heat connection might definitely be an issue.
because once the power goes out and i let go of the button then immediately press the button it powers up for 2 seconds..

This should help me with practicing building a pen :)

daguin

I tried 2 sets of batts. total 5 batts in different combinations.
The heat connection might definitely be an issue.
because once the power goes out and i let go of the button then immediately press the button it powers up for 2 seconds..
This should help me with practicing building a pen :)

If not the batteries then probably the connection. Did it work fine when you first got it? I wasn't sure from your story. Start at the mechanical connections (threads, springs, battery contacts, module to host contact).

Before you take it apart too far though, look into where the switch is. Does the board flex down when you press the button? If so (or if it is down all the time) cut a piece of stiff foam or plastic or wood to fit under the board to hold it up. The bad "connection" could just be the button moving away from pressure.

Peace,
dave

i literally pulled the module out by tugging at the lens.. the negative wire was providing the friction to hold the module in the host.

The host is a jayrob black pen and the spring/button board is nice and snug in the plastic board holder part( i dont know what its called, im going to solder the negative to the aixiz case and retry it.

When i first got it I played with it for about 5-6 20-30 second runs and put it away for later use. went for it today and well had it on a bit longer then i noticed the power drop out.

mfo

I have the some problem when I use new 10440 batteries. They just suck and I honestly regret using them. Use the trial and error method to figure out which battery is giving you the trouble then chuck it.

daguin

i literally pulled the module out by tugging at the lens.. the negative wire was providing the friction to hold the module in the host.

The host is a jayrob black pen and the spring/button board is nice and snug in the plastic board holder part( i dont know what its called, im going to solder the negative to the aixiz case and retry it.

When i first got it I played with it for about 5-6 20-30 second runs and put it away for later use. went for it today and well had it on a bit longer then i noticed the power drop out.

It may have oxidized around the copper/brass contact. Clean up the interior of the host before you re-insert the module

Peace,
dave

Thank you for all the help!!!

i soldered the negative to the aixiz case, i filed it down first, and i tried the same 2 sets of batts. Im getting the same problem.

im going to have to try a newer or different set of batteries. First I need to buy em :)

daguin

Thank you for all the help!!!

i soldered the negative to the aixiz case, i filed it down first, and i tried the same 2 sets of batts. Im getting the same problem.

im going to have to try a newer or different set of batteries. First I need to buy em :)

Did you test the module with another power source while it was out of the host?

If it works or not out of the host can lead the investigation in the correct direction

Peace,
dave

Yes i did actually i hooked it up to a 9v batt and it worked without the power degrading, even after 60 seconds.

daguin

Yes i did actually i hooked it up to a 9v batt and it worked without the power degrading, even after 60 seconds.

Then we know that the module is fine. It is a contact/connection issue or a battery issue.

Peace,
dave

Im going to get more batteries and try this out again. I resoldered the joints to the clicky board just in case.

Thanks for your input and help Daguin and mfo.