Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser feels underpowered?

I finished my red laser build, but I feel like it cant burn anything, I've tried focusing onto a inked piece of paper and nothing, not even that warm. I am running a Mitsubishi ML101U29-25 diode at 340 mA, should I push it harder? tips and advice are welcome

also, it might be my hand was shaky, but the beam seemed to almost flicker a little?

Doesn't look good at all it is underpowered 160mW LPM of red will slowly burn a hole through white paper and easy in black or darkened paper ,so try uping the current or its a dud diode ...i just tried with a 160mW red to confirm my above statement .it really won't ignite a piece of white paper but does burn holes through it, and lights matches

Last edited:
It actually can burn, I just had it focused like a moron. I might still raise the current just to see what it can do.

Focus on the 301,302,303 series really is a matter of screwing the focus ring all the way till it stops don't force it and then it will be focussed about 5 cm in front of the laser give or take a bit. It does take practice to get it right and yes hand movement is a problem must really stay in same spot or you will just get a little smolder but not burn a hole or light a match

Last edited:
I lightened up on the focus ring and focus is the size of a pin at about 3-4 feet

I lightened up on the focus ring and focus is the size of a pin at about 3-4 feet
Yes my distance is from my sd301,302,303 series obviously some are different? ...your Not gonna burn much from 4 feet with a less than 100 mW laser ,1 plus watt 445nm yes you will ..I'm mainly talking about holding it by hand as its virtually impossible not to move the spot and hence focus point of the laser

Last edited: