Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser died! :( Driver problem

As I stated in my previous thread, I got a new glass lensed diode module with pre-installed driver from a fellow here in Korea.
The optics are the best I've seen so far! really However, yesterday after running the diode for 12secs for a demo off a 18650cell, the laser flashed (strobed) and died. I was using a small heat sink and was cautious to keep my run time down.
Using a VOM meter it looks like the LD is just fine, and checks OK on the diode tester but the Driver IC(yes it has an IC and a small toroidal transformer of sorts on the board) is dead as a doornail! How the hell did this happen?

WTf, I emailed the seller. This guys name is Geareb on ebay. The diode is a Hot diode from a LG 22x DVD R/RWdrive and as he stated in the email, it is rated for 400mW CW. Hmm, I guess I got a bad driver. BTW, I think I will be using the PSU he has for sale to run it next time.

HAs anyone had this happen before?

As I stated in my previous thread, I got a new glass lensed diode module with pre-installed driver from a fellow here in Korea.
The optics are the best I've seen so far! really However, yesterday after running the diode for 12secs for a demo off a 18650cell, the laser flashed (strobed) and died. I was using a small heat sink and was cautious to keep my run time down.
Using a VOM meter it looks like the LD is just fine, and checks OK on the diode tester but the Driver IC(yes it has an IC and a small toroidal transformer of sorts on the board) is dead as a doornail! How the hell did this happen?

WTf, I emailed the seller. This guys name is Geareb on ebay. The diode is a Hot diode from a LG 22x DVD R/RWdrive and as he stated in the email, it is rated for 400mW CW. Hmm, I guess I got a bad driver. BTW, I think I will be using the PSU he has for sale to run it next time.

HAs anyone had this happen before?
I don't think that there is a true laser hobbyist who has not had this happen.
My bet is the LD is LED'ed. It will still test the same,(even pull the same amount of current), if it is LED'ed.
If the driver went out, opened, it took the LD with it, most likely.
You stated you had a small heat-sink. If you were running it anywhere near 400mW, you need a very large heat-sink.(although not for 12 seconds)
The LPC-815 (the diode you have) is rated for 150mA CW.
Manufacturer max. output is 205mW

Believe who you want, the eBay seller or the manufacturer!!

You can push these to 400mW, but you need a big heatsink
Mine weighs 6 ounces, and still gets a little warm after a long duty cycle.

indeed it was the driver. Looks like it was a bad resistor and it couldn't take the current.
Laser diode is safe. Driver had a problem.
I got a properly heat sinked module from the seller and all is fine now. I can get 1 minute with slight to moderate heating now. Although I would personally won't go over 1 minute, due the kinds of experiments I will use it for.
Indeed the diode operates around 300 - 325mW with peaks around 350mw with the driver the seller installed.
The seller provided documentation showing this was the case. after 400mA input the diode starts to loose output to heating.