Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser build question

lJakel

I plan on finishing my FIRST laser build after two years of going to school and I bought a b50 powerlight host from cajun lasers.

Which is the same as this thread

http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/b50-powerlight-660nm-build-69960.html

My main question is how I would focus the laser. I saw he used a focus adapter, but I dont want to buy one without absolutely knowing which one, and the negative terminal for the battery?

I also was looking at a 2 pack Red laser/808nm laser diode driver 80-500mA w/TTL

for a driver. I'm using a lpc 826. I'll buy batteries in the next week or two. Any recommendations or concerns?

you'll have to test and set the current of that driver yourself. as far as focusing ring, as long as thats a standard 12mm aixiz module, you can use the provided focus ring on the lens to adjust the focus until you decide on the custom one.

lJakel

I knew I had to adjust the current. Are you saying I'd have to focus it fixed then everytime I want to refocus ill need to take the top off?

IsaacT

No, there is a focus ring that comes with you lens. That silver colored circle with all the ridges on the side. That screws onto the lens. Once you have screwed it onto the lens, twisting the adapter right or left will change the focus of the laser, as it causes the lens to thread out or thread deeper into the diode module, which changes where the lens is in regards to the diode.

lJakel

Oh I see, I wasn't home to look at it. I was going to buy those drivers until it said Visa isn't available.. Which it's on their page in two places and the checkout page. Where should i get a focus adapter? I know Flaminpyro does custom stuff but I'm trying to budget build. Cajun doesn't have one.

IsaacT

I have a custom focus adapter I might sell. It looks like the one on the b50 you linked. PM me if interested.

lJakel

I've been looking at drivers.. and I could go with a fixed linear... But I don't understand what allows it to require one cell or more?

I've been looking at mohgasm's linear drivers and the x-drives at cajunlasers.

They say they require two or more batteries, but i'd like to use a 16340. I'd rather not spend 20$ on a driver. I got my host, ordering batteries but i'd like to put the battery and driver together in one order.

Any recommendations?

IsaacT

A linear will need two cells to function, I actually asked DTR a similar question.

lJakel

I may just buy a flexdrive... Is his shipping times still long? Or is there an alternative to a flexdrive?

IsaacT

Order from illuminationsupply.com

They just started selling them at 14.99 /pc....probably the best deal out there!