Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser build issues / i need a reliable mentor

okay, so I'm at a point where I don't even know if I have the right stuff anymore for my red laser build. I soldered the power supply (3 AAA battery box) to the board (Amazon.com: AixiZ 2 pack red and IR laser diode driver 80-500mA w/TTL: Everything Else) and to the switch and when I tested the output at the end it was something like 4.8V, which would most likely burn out my diode (5pcs 650nm 660nm 250mW 350mW Push CW Red Laser Diode LD Mitsubishi ML101U29 25 | eBay). Also, I know that the board has adjustable current, but what is optimum, and how do I check it with my multimeter? I haven't figured out how to pick any up. so what do I need to add or do to bring the current down to between 2.2 and 3v? and how do I find the current and is there such thing as too low of current?

one more thing, if anyone with experience would like to message me and give me a number I can text or way for more direct help (this site's pm system?), i'd like that a lot, I want someone I can go to while I finish this build. thanks in advance

You're confusing current with voltage.
Did you measure the driver output open? Without a load (test-load)?

You need a test load for setting the driver first. You did that?
edit: What is a Test load: some components soldered together that 'simulate' a laser diode, you connect that on your driver AND measure the load using your multimeter.

I'd recommend that diode: LPC-826. Its cheaper and I've seen some run @ 500mA without issues (other than reduced life).

Last edited:
I measured the voltage to be over that of the diode's reqirements, and yes I did measure open, how would I go about making a test load? and Is it required? I have little budget left

EDIT: my diodes are already in America, I would prefer not to buy more stuff from china if I don't have to, I bought the 5 pack so I can remake the laser if I want a second

Last edited: