Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser build/help

jbtm

I will log my build as it goes here, for the LOC laser sled I ordered.

To start, I need to have some answers. The sled from High tech deals says ~3V forward voltage, and most people run it around 400mA. If I got a flexdriver, and set it to 400mA, Would it damage the laser using a 4.2V 18650 battery? I wasnt sure if 4.2V would be bad for it or not.

If it is...
DealExtreme: $11.99 Cree XR-E LED Flashlight Complete DIY Body Shell/Casing Kit with Driver Pill (2*CR123A/1*18650)
I plan to get this flashlight, because it fits 18650s, and the end is good for my laser heatsink.

DealExtreme: $10.48 MXDL ZD-5W LED Flashlight (2xAA/3V)
If not, I'll get this one, run it at 3V. This one also has a very nice end for my heatsinks.

Both flashlights work GREAT for me, its just a hard decision because of the battery choices.
1X 18650 4.2V 2800mAh
2X AA 1.5V 2500mAh

Hard :(

i would not push my loc over 320 but mine is for a scanner, so if you keep short duty cycles it will be fine.

jbtm

I found a lot run them way over 450mA but a lot of people seem to like to set them to 420 for long safe running. Im more wondering the voltage issue.

Well, the 18650 batteries lowers in voltage to around 3.7. I use 3.7 18650's and 3.7v CR123a's without any problems.

Last edited:
Wait what what is the safe long life of the loc? i thought it was just under 350mw?

daguin

I will log my build as it goes here, for the LOC laser sled I ordered.

To start, I need to have some answers. The sled from High tech deals says ~3V forward voltage, and most people run it around 400mA. If I got a flexdriver, and set it to 400mA, Would it damage the laser using a 4.2V 18650 battery? I wasnt sure if 4.2V would be bad for it or not.

If it is...
DealExtreme: $11.99 Cree XR-E LED Flashlight Complete DIY Body Shell/Casing Kit with Driver Pill (2*CR123A/1*18650)
I plan to get this flashlight, because it fits 18650s, and the end is good for my laser heatsink.

DealExtreme: $10.48 MXDL ZD-5W LED Flashlight (2xAA/3V)
If not, I'll get this one, run it at 3V. This one also has a very nice end for my heatsinks.

Both flashlights work GREAT for me, its just a hard decision because of the battery choices.
1X 18650 4.2V 2800mAh
2X AA 1.5V 2500mAh

Hard :(

The micro flexdrive is a boost/buck drive. That means it can increase the needed voltage or decrease the needed voltage. As long as it is a Micro "flex" and not a micro "boost" from drlava, it will work fine for the red at 400mA (3V). It will "buck" the voltage down from 4.2V at the battery to 3V at the diode.

400mA should be fine for the LOC

Peace,
dave

so then is 320 for a scanner to low should i go up to around 400?

jbtm

Posting an update. Was very easy to remove the laser from the sled. I have successfully planted it into a AXIZ module, pressed in. I did a super low power test, and saw it did make a dim dim dot. Showing that is actually lights, I'm going to go no farther, and wait for my flexdriver to arrive. :)

Benm

Wait for a regulated driver indeed.

Acceptable current varies greatly with application. I'd stick with 400 mA or less if you want it to last for a long time, and even then it needs proper heatsinking.

I typically run the LOC diodes at 350 mA myself, which seems to be a reasonably safe current, but they can take more if you must have the additional power. If you want a durable pointer i'd stick with 320 mA or so - its crappy when those die on you at any critical moment.

jbtm

I told dr. lava to do 400ma. This is an open-can LOC and I do have heatsinks. I know open cans can generally handle more current.

jbtm

update:

Got the driver today set to 400ma. at first it didnt work and read 1A then i figured it and it says 400mA. Laser is fully operating! Short tests where done until i get my host. Placed into a temp. heatsink and it does indeed burn black plastic fast :D

Last edited:

jbtm

Sorry for the 3 posts in the row, but would like to keep update as I get stuff.

I got a MXDL 5W led flashlight in the mail today :) First, I'm not laser moding this for a few days. I want to show my Dad the flashlight. It's half the price of his maglite, and it's much brighter. I got the thing for $12, free shipping, and it beats the 3 D-Cell maglite. Also, we bought a ton of $12 led lights taht dont work anymore, the PLASTIC threads failed. For the same price, I got this, metal threads. So I may suggest he buys a few from me to replace them with good water-protected flashlights.

My last laser mod, bluray, used a metal bushing as a heatsink. This one does also, except its 4mm wider in diameter. 4 or 5mm. Knowing what I say online, it fits the flashlight like a glove. Once the LED is removed, there's roughly 1.25" or a tad more of free heatsink room :D

As seen even the flashlight mirror lens is held in with aluminum. There's a waterproof rubber click button at the end. I'm going to buy the next size down bushing, so It will go inside and be flushed with the flashlight instead of sticking out like my last laser! But in all, I like this a lot for a flashlight...I need another X_X

jbtm

Well, Wanted to update this thread. I recently as of today did a lot of caliper measuring and figured i just have bearly enough room to fit in a 2mm LED! It just BEARLY fits between the side of the case and the battery, there was 2mm of empty space between the pill's PCB board and the host's threading area...Confusing I know, But hey..it worked.

I think it's a nice touch. Now I just need to buy a red one. I only had greens.

Attachments

• newhost.jpg
    newhost.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 115
Very nice, sometimes you wish you had just a tad bit more space, good job on making it work.