Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rectangle Splash? Any Fixes/Help? (445nm ~1W)

Adam3

This problem is occurring on my Arctic Spyder III (G1). The problem is a rectangular splash around the dot of the beam. It seems as though the rectangle is only on one side of the dot. I have already tried without the screw on lens, and tried cleaning the laser lens.. the problem persists. A friend of mine thought it might be a beam artifact caused by the lens... can anyone confirm this theory? I have checked the forums for issues similar to this and found nothing, sorry if i missed it though. However i did find this video: YouTube - How to fix the "rectangle beam" on your Wicked Lasers Arctic Spyder III

it seems as though this particular fix is for the actual beam and dot, not the area around it.

I'm fairly new to higher power lasers such as the one i'm experiencing this slight issue with. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how to fix this problem or tell me a way to adjust the laser somehow to reduce the rectangular splash... Anything to help me out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here are some pictures:

farix.jpg
[/URL]

Sorry for low quality, these were taken on my ipod.

There's no fix for that, it's just how these diodes are. What you are seeing is a small amount of light being emitted around the edges of the diode die.

Adam3

Dang. Unfortunate... Oh well.
Do you think the focusing lens from the expanded lens kit would help with that at all? Or is that lens designed for close up burning?

I think that the focusing lens is intended for burning yes. The rectangle splash will be far more difficult to notice using a focusing lens, but the beam divergence will be huge..