Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

reconsiliation of input power

My DX 30W laser draws .3 amp., my Nova X 30mW, .5 amp..

Hemlock Mike wrote .3 amp is max for the 30 mW DX.

This makes the Nova laser seem power wastefull(Waste more power than the DX).

My Nova is always brighter than my DX.

I would like all experts to answer these questions:

1. Is the DX suffering from a Maxed out pump diode or bad tunning?

2. Is the Nova pump diode overdriven , 3. what's the max current rating?

4. My gut instink tells me that DX pump diode can't put out the IR to make the claimed 30mW, Y or N ?
5. I think the nova laser pump diode is underdriven and can handle more current.
Y or N ?, 6. what's the Max Current?

7. And do you have anything helpfull to add?

Kudos: Nova laser was in my mailbox 3 days after I ordered, COOL! $10 shipping.

I recommend rechargable energizer AAA NiMH batts because alkys rundown to quick. and you save $!

Cheers,
DGM [smiley=beer.gif]

Things

i think you meant DX 30mw ;D ;D the DX lasers are very good for the price, but any good quality laser of the same mw should look brighter. DX lasers are pretty maxed out as it is, and if it's not brighter than another laser of the same power, it would either be the pump diode isn't working to spec, or the crystals are not aligned properly, or they aren't good quality

Keep in mind that the driverboards may take up diff amounts of energy in the two also. The CNI lasers are generall overengineered and the pump will be more than what is needed for the output - hence you're probably getting more than 30mW out of the NL. THe DX on the other hand is likely struggling to put out 25mW. That can also account for some of the difference.

I highly doubt the NL pump is being overdriven. Not sure on the DX. Sorry, but I don't know what pump is being used in your NL so I can't really guess at the max current for the diode. If its not running at max though, it would also be working at somewhat lower efficiency which is another of many factors that probably all contribute to the difference in input

Ok, thanks for the input. things ,Psudo
Now I need to focus more to whats on my mind.
NL says it's 25mW , they put on my box, 39 max 27.8 ave. . Thats cool. laser @.5amp
But Nova lasers X series specs from 15 to 125 say it's got 500 mW 808IR pump ,<300 mA current !
Now that tells me thier holding back on a MAX of 125mW. Can U make 125, w/500mW pump?
I'm a stickler for specs. and that seems like bad data.
So, I'm thinking it can be turned up to 125mW.
See what I mean\?
Does anyone have a 125 XNova ? I need to know what current it draws!

Thanks [smiley=beer.gif] Guys,
DGM

Woops, Things
I'm sorry DX sold me their last 30W laser ;D ;D
Too many causulties!
Just kidding :)
I did order a DX100mW $100, I can't wait for it.
I know a bargain when I see one.
Will post the proformance.
Cheers [smiley=beer.gif]