Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommended place to buy IR filters for ebay green laser pointer

So recently i bought a green "burning" laser and a bad ass 450nm laser the blue/450nm is a 1 Watt and the green is a supposed 5mw (i know it's likely over spec and closer to 30-50mw).

I already got the blue one and love it, still waiting on the green one.
But my main question is does anyone know of a reliable place to get a IR filter for it? I see a bunch on ebay and a few on amazon but no way of knowing if they are legitimate and going to help protect my eyes from the dangerous IR light.

Thanks in advance!

diachi

So recently i bought a green "burning" laser and a bad ass 450nm laser the blue/450nm is a 1 Watt and the green is a supposed 5mw (i know it's likely over spec and closer to 30-50mw).

I already got the blue one and love it, still waiting on the green one.
But my main question is does anyone know of a reliable place to get a IR filter for it? I see a bunch on ebay and a few on amazon but no way of knowing if they are legitimate and going to help protect my eyes from the dangerous IR light.

Thanks in advance!

I think people worry about IR far more than they need to ...

It's not always practical to add a filter either. Anyway, something for photography would probably work just fine. Even an IR cut filter out of an old webcam or such should do. It needs to block 1064nm.

Someone will probably have a specific source.

It's not always practical to add a filter either. Anyway, something for photography would probably work just fine. Even an IR cut filter out of an old webcam or such should do. It needs to block 1064nm.

Yeah i have heard a lot of people mention the webcam one i have taken apart webcams before to extract the IR filter a lot of times the problem is most of them are glued in and if you are not careful they break really easy usually made of very fine glass.

D

Deleted member 16589

I have lots of IR filters for sale that would Work Just look in my signature. Do you Know for sure your green leaks IR.

Edit:

As I have stated before and gotten numerous heat for saying. The thin film dielectric filters from webcams are not great for Lasers and here is why.

In my experience they only block a small amount of the 808nm and for powerful lasers I have found that if the filter gets smudged the heat from the laser can then damage the coating.
On these filters the glass does not absorb the IR. The thin film dielectric coating simply reflects it and if it blisters off it will no longer work.

I agree for low power lasers that only leak maybe 30mw of IR its not really a concern unless that is you look down the aperture wile wearing goggles but then you are just stupid.

Last edited by a moderator: