Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommendation for a noob?

I'm a noob when it comes to lasers, and I'm looking for a good laser (that will pop balloons, light matches, burn paper, etc.) that is under $50. I've looked around and I just don't really know enough about lasers or the laser community to know what to look for in the specs or which sites won't scam me.
Anyway, I'm only looking to spend around $50. So a (few) recommendation(s) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

If your gonna order a laser just for burning, make sure you get a pair of laser safety goggles your gonna need them, I can only stair at the dot on the wall for a short time without it fucking with my eyes. remember dont buy cheap get a good quality pair. i have heard nothing but good with dragon laser goggles. or oem goggles

Got it! Safety goggles :)
And since you recommended a red laser, it makes me curious as to the advantages of different colors (since I thought green was better than red). So can you explain what makes each color better than another? Also, what are the differences between the gas lasers and infrared lasers compared to each other and the regular lasers?

I started looking at the site where you recommended the laser and I found this: http://www.o-like.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5
Is it just a waterproof version of what you recommended? Because I'd pay $10 more for it to be waterproof...

Last edited:

Kevlar

For burning, the 405nm (blu-ray) will give you more burning power per mW than 532nm or 660nm. I'm just not sure you can get one for under $50.

Even if you decide to go with red (660nm), try to get one that can focus, it also makes a difference.

Last edited:

ARG

For burning, the 405nm (blu-ray) will give you more burning power per mW than 532nm or 660nm. I'm just not sure you can get one for under $50.

Even if you decide to go with red (660nm), try to get one that can focus, it also makes a difference.

You can get a 100mW 405nm focusable laser for 30$ or so from Deal Extreme.

I would also go with the 405nm laser, burns well and you'll get a cool fluorescent effect on many objects. O-like is a solid choice but due to the fact that they are in china, you won't receive your laser for several weeks. If you want one in a hurry, ask a forum member in the Buy, Sell, & Trade section.

-Matt

You can get a 100mW 405nm focusable laser for 30$ or so from Deal Extreme.

DX says they don't ship lasers >5mW to the US.

How good do you think these are?
405nm 50mW blu-ray pen /adjustable [OLBVL10] - $36.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products
405nm 100mW blu-ray pen /adjustable [OLBVL100] - $69.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Also, what are the advantages of infrared lasers? How good are the 3 at the bottom here? Infrared laser : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

Kevlar

My advice is to stay away from IR. You can't see the beam, and barely the dot unless you view it through a video camera or webcam. They are too dangerous for a noob IMO

mpwn

can someone tell me a member i can buy lasers off in australia. need help thx

I bought this one from Tmart

250mW 650nm TS-22125 Focus Flashlight Style Red Laser Pointer Black (2*CR2) - Tmart.com

It is pretty good. It will light matches, burn dark colored plastics, and do most of the common burning tricks. Wear proper goggles when using.

i've only heard bad things about tmart and i do not recommend them. since this is your first laser I would suggest something about 100mW or less from o-like or rayfoss or buy the one from fenzir above ^

Last edited:
i've only heard bad things about tmart and i do not recommend them. since this is your first laser I would suggest something about 100mW or less from o-like or rayfoss or buy the one from fenzir above ^

Tmart is a crapshoot. I've had good luck with their red lasers (at least the two that I bought) and mixed luck with their green lasers... one was good but below spec. the other one sucked.