Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommendation for a C/C++ IDE alternative to VisualStudio

Hello fellow geeks!

I'm starting to get really sick of VS2013 the more I use it. The whole project handling architecture, the fact that you can't bring up a second source file in a single instance of VS without having to save and close your primary file, the headache involved in trying to import or link to an external library..., and lots more... ugh.

I need a C/C++ IDE program that has at least the same level of functionality as the Arduino IDE. Pretty much that means:

1) when compiling it runs a debug and will tell you roughly what the error is on which line. Even something simple as "error: ; expected before } on line 36" will do.
2) color coded/highlighted keywords when viewing code.
3) easy import of external libraries
4) straight forward procedure for creating, compiling, and exporting resultant CLI executables (.exe).

Has to run on windows systems, native support for win8.1 64bit is a bonus.

So, what are you code monkeys using these days?

TimMe

Hi Siguthur,

I personally use Notepad++ for making the code.
Compiling using VC10, Bam and Python. With some very useful stuff and simple Library-Import.

I would prefer we can write on skype, so I can explain you better what I mean.

It's serious and of course I will help you for free.

I know, it's not an IDE but it's very easy to use. :D

-TimMe

Thanks C0ld!

I downloaded Dev-C++, Code::Blocks, and CodeLite to test out the best of what I found online, and I'm definitely liking Dev-C++ the best so far. I've managed to configure it pretty decently, and even wrote/compiled/exported a few simple programs with native libraries.

Right now the biggest trouble I'm having is getting an external library (BigInteger) to link with the linker. I figured out how to get it to include, but can't seem to navigate the mess of linking. This library isn't precompiled, so there's no .o file, but it does come with a sample.cc and makefile. Unfortunately my pc (win8.1) doesn't recognize the extension of the makefile, and the only directions I can find online are for unix systems.

Likewise I found an alternative library for my needs: https://gmplib.org/ but that might not be precompiled either, AND the downloads are in file extensions my system doesn't recognize at all, and I've got 7zip, winrar, and .zip capabilities.

I guess I'm stuck trying to see if I can't compile the BigInteger and proceed from there.