Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommend a laser pointer for me

I'm looking for a laser pointer. Something I can use in meetings at work and a little playing at home.

I've got many high end flashlights and have plenty of CR123's around. I don't know what cells are usually used for lasers but a CR123 would be great. I don't want something big so I would prefer to stay away from 18650 as a source.

I like high quality stuff. I'm not looking for the throw away $3 pointer. For my first one though I don't need to spend a fortune either. Is there anything decent for <$50?

I don't want to build one, I'd like to buy one complete.

I think I would like green.

Is it possible to have variable output, or multiple levels? No reason to burn the place down if you don't need to.

Please steer me in some direction regarding brand/model/distributor.

Links appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Razako

Here's your dilemma. There are plenty of CR123 lasers available on ebay within your price range or cheaper. The problem is none of them are eye safe for work meetings or casually messing around with.
Powerful Red Light Laser Pointer Pen 5mW High Power 650nm Match Visible Beam New | eBay
301 Purple Laser Pointer Pen Adjustable Focus Super Laser Visible Beam 405nm 5mW | eBay
Powerful Green Light Laser Pointer Pen 5mW High Power 532nm Match Visible Beam | eBay
These will all be way overspec and potentially hazardous.

If you're willing to up your price range to the $120 mark I can recommend these really nice pointers with variable power settings which take common AAA batteries.
5mW 515nm Green Diode Laser Pointer, 515nm Green Laser Diode, Green Laser Pointer | Berlinlasers
They have a 5mw setting for presentation use and messing around. They also have a 50mw setting for outdoor usage and wow factor.

Last edited:
You really need 2 tools for 2 jobs, a 5mw green that's safe for presentations, and something bigger for your private use.

Ok, I'm good with the suggestions. One for work, one for home.

Are there any suggested AA or AAA 5mw green available that are somewhat decent quality? At least a step above the junky giveaways?

Is there a specific reason to choose CR123, AA, or AAA?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Razako

Ok, I'm good with the suggestions. One for work, one for home.

Are there any suggested AA or AAA 5mw green available that are somewhat decent quality? At least a step above the junky giveaways?

Is there a specific reason to choose CR123, AA, or AAA?

Thanks!

https://www.laserglow.com/GLY
These come to mind. They're a little pricey, but they're high quality and have IR filters with a guaranteed <5mw output. Perfect for presentations and playing around with indoors.

Then you can also get some of the higher powered cheap ebay pointers for outside use.

It seems like most of the 5mW options in AA format are 2xAA. Are there any 1xAA for a more compact, pocketable option?

Thank you.

Razako

It seems like most of the 5mW options in AA format are 2xAA. Are there any 1xAA for a more compact, pocketable option?

Thank you.
Don't know of any 1xAAA or 1xAA pointers. The voltage would be too low for most drivers.

Last edited:
Hi,
For a really nice presentation pointer try Z-Bolt.com There a little pricey but hey you get what you pay for. Wouldn't you like to have a pen that lasts and pay a little more or a pen that lasts not very long and pay less. Just my opinion Hope you get your pen soon buddy..

Rich:)

yes choose the multi mode option...
low power=5mw(in office)
high power= 200mw( out of office).
basically a 2 in 1 laser...

Razako

Those do look pretty nice. Bookmarked!

Is there anything in the 5mW output with 14500? Just looking to keep the "work" laser small and pocketable.
Not that I know of. However you can select a multi-mode driver for the sanwu lasers which will allow you to select a lower power mode.

[FONT=trebuchet ms, sans-serif]Multi operation modes: Safety Mode <10mw, half power, Strobe, Full Power and SOS mode. Half-click to switch between mode. There's an electronic lock to prevent unauthorized use in multi modes driver. When start, half-click/tap the tailcap 3 times under 3 seconds and it will lock as safety mode(<10mw), to unlock just repeat the same process but half-click/tap 5 times instead. The driver will adjust the current and output itself if overheats along with reverse polarity protection.[/FONT]