Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

recomended operating current for 22x writer LD

alx

I would like to build a driver for a laser diode extracted from an LG GH22NS40 which is a 22x dvd writer. Can anybody tell me what is:
- threshold current (could be 50mA or more?)
- recomended operating current (100mA or more?)
- max operating current (130ma or more?)
- operating voltage (2.5V up to 4V or more?)

Regards,
Alx

everything is already written somewhere here on the forum......those 22x work fine with 420mA and good driver for built is DDL's who uses LM317T

alx

hi mario,

without know its name, ddl is exact scheme which i'm planning to use...

let me know, 420mA is recomended operating current or max operating current?

regards,
alx

I really don't know that but what i have seen here everyone who has 20x or 22x long open can diode, is giving her 420mA and they are saying that that is safe current for it but with good heatsink...........and for housing is used aixiz module with extra heatsink on it........

all the best.......Mario

alx

hi mario,
looking here: www .mfgcn .com/_wsn/page2.html
which module is the one aixiz module "with extra heatsink"?

650nm 5mw 12X30mm brass case $4.50 USD
635NM 5MW 3.2VDC $12.00 USD
635NM 10 MW 3.2VDC $30.00 USD

Can you indicate one?

Also, it seems to be something wrong about 420mA value. Let me explain ... dvd laser diodes operates at 2.5V up to 4V. Taking in consideration 3V excitation voltage on diode, at that current (420ma) it means a 1260mw power, which ... is to much for this diode. Afaik, latest dvd diodes have arroud 300mw power (pulse) and only 100-125mw power (continuous).

In my first question I asked about 3 values:
- threshold current
- recomended operating current
- max operating current

Most important is the last 2 values. Can somebody confirm/infirm that values (from catalogue or measured current).

Regards,
Alx

you understand me wrong.........u need aixiz module ,and heatsink u can do by your one with aluminum or buy it ;what i meant to say was that u shouldn't operate at this current levels without heatsink.....and for current........i don't know about that what you said.....i'm just saying what is already written here on forum......there are many 22x lg dvd LDs that work for a long time on 420mA without any problem
just do a little search on this forum and u will find everything u need...
.......i have 16x dvd burner diode with heatsink that i made and the LD is working on 320mA without a problem (i'm using DDL driver)

alx

hi mario,

Indeed... You are right... newer LD found in 22x dvd burners could work up to 450mA (CW). For this value you can obtain more then 350mW thermal output power.

Did you measured your LD output thermal power. I am curious at 320mA, how much you get. It must be more then 250mW.

Regards,
Alx

kkt said:
hi mario,

without know its name, ddl is exact scheme which i'm planning to use...

let me know, 420mA is recomended operating current or max operating current?

regards,
alx
420mA is the recomended operating current. It will last a long time at that current.

no i didn't measure my LD output.......i don't have LPM......but it burns matches.....i had green matches and i lit it without any problem ,from 15 cm it lits instantly.......and i don't have my LD in aixiz module i put it in somekind of chinese housing........the lens is terrible......but it must work until aixiz housing that i order come.