Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rec for indoor presentation grade pointer (green)

67L48

Have seen green lasers used for presentations and want one of my own. Not looking for outdoor use. Wicked (WL) and Dragon (DL) seem to have the biggest following and their 15mW and 35mW prices are about the same. I don't want something that is going to be so bright that I can't use it in a presentation -- the audience should not be in any discomfort looking at the green dot on the screen. Thoughts and/or advice?

Thanks.

T

timelord

Re: Rec for indoor presentation grade pointer (gre

I'd recommend a 5mw green laser and at the most 15mw (although this maybe too bright) for presentational use. Welcome to the forum and if you need any advise after you've had a read then don't hesitate to ask anyone here. ;)

sounds like you need to talk with Abe at Atlas Nova - he is much less expensive than Wicked and his products are great.

http://www.atlasnova.com

5mW should be all you need for indoor presentation use. That said, you're going to be buying lots of green lasers in the future if you're like the rest of us. :)

67L48

Thanks for the advice. I guess that I'll go with the 5mW from AtlasNova.

I just can't help but feel that more is better and that, for the ~$30 difference, I should go with the 15mW. Especially since I'll expense this as a business purchase.

In the end, I do want something that is useable for presentations in normal-sized conference rooms and the 15mW may be simply too bright. I've done some searching online and haven't found a single testimonial from a person using a >5mW pointer in a corporate environment. Everything is outdoors, astronomy, and hobby-based. That also makes me think that 15mW would actually be a bad purchase decision.

So, to make a short story long, I'll probably order one from Atlasnova. Thanks again.

For indoor use, you're likely to make the pointer too bright by going over 5mW.  Over 5 mW you'll probably wash out the projectors, TV monitors etc.   With presentations, the pointer should not be the focus, the info should be.  

Alternatively, you could get a 5mW and a 15mW and see which works best.

P

Placebo

Let's talk about presentations for a minute. You and I both know that excessive animations, sound effects, transitions, humor, etc. can distract your audience. The kiss of death in the presentation biz. A green laser, even a few milliwatts, is going to intrigue everyone right out of your grasp whether they be the board of directors or a bunch of 13 steppers. Buy the 15mW greenie or one of Atlas' fine products by all means, I can tell you want it and you won't regret your purchase, but stick with the boring old $5 red at your PowerPoint gigs. Trust me.

P.S. If you go with the Atlas Nova, get the astronomy grade. They are knee-weakening for $100. Also consider Laserglow's 5mW focusable. Killer after a quick pot mod!