Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

real world uses for lasers share them!

i was pming today Laser Pointer Forums - Discuss Lasers & Laser Pointers - View Profile: piferal

and we were talking about how its fun to learn about other uses for high powered lasers other than popping balloons etc.

share them here!

examples:

medical field..

astronomy..

construction...

CNC ..

what got us on this topic was this post:
The color of this laser is not chance, or whim, has a very specific use,

I will try to explain as best and simple as possible with my bad English.

The adaptive optics systems of the telescope require a nearby reference
bright star source, that has to be relatively bright in order to correct
atmospheric distortion of light and properly adjust the optics.

This is where this yellow laser enters in action.

Pointing this beam in the sky, this laser beam energizes the layer of sodium atoms that is present
in Earth's atmosphere at an altitude of ~90 kilometres, and this atoms glow, creating
a kind of artificial star, to properly adjust the adaptive optic to the specific zone,
this is because sometimes there are not enough bright stars present in all parts of the sky.

Last edited:

Re: cool uses for lasers share em

And...?

Plaisir de voir les belles choses

Last edited:

DJNY

There are manymany threads around about this topic!

Re: cool uses for lasers share em

i want to here what other people know about!

i like learning :beer:

edit @DJNY do you want me to ask to have it deleted sorry guess i should of bumped a old one:yabbem:

Last edited:
i saw on discovery channel that over 50% of the productls sold in the United States are somehow laser related (lasers in them, lasers used to cut them, or lasers used to measure/ calibrate them)

michael.

Bogart

I once used a pair of laser pens to preserve the alignment on my wife's car while I replaced the outer tierod end.

I used zipties to fasten them securely to the two front wheels (in retrospect I should have instead attached them to the brake rotors), and placed pieces of tape on the house and tree some 30ft away where the dots fell.

After doing the work, I just made sure the dots still fell in the same places, and it worked out beautifully. Saved me $75 or whatever they charge for an alignment these days.

I once used a pair of laser pens to preserve the alignment on my wife's car while I replaced the outer tierod end.

I used zipties to fasten them securely to the two front wheels (in retrospect I should have instead attached them to the brake rotors), and placed pieces of tape on the house and tree some 30ft away where the dots fell.

After doing the work, I just made sure the dots still fell in the same places, and it worked out beautifully. Saved me $75 or whatever they charge for an alignment these days.

cool idea i saw a ad for hunters that said they use lasers for alignment now!

I didn't know this! Don't delete the thread, keep 'em coming!

hahah the replies are pretty neat :beer:

i saw on discovery channel that over 50% of the productls sold in the United States are somehow laser related (lasers in them, lasers used to cut them, or lasers used to measure/ calibrate them)

michael.

thats pretty incredible :yh:

I shined a red laser pointer across my wall to see how flat it was.

Edit: It wasn't very flat.

Last edited:

JLSE

I use the bluish glow emanating from my windows to keep the neighbors guessing :evil: