Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: What the @#&!

daguin

Xplorer877 said:
Ok I bought one of these.
http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=220
Hooked it up to this driver with a LM317 and I got 5mW of RED LIGHT
WHY!?
Is it possible to somehow damage a 808nm IR diode with over voltage or current so that it now emits like 650nm? I think they just sent me the wrong diode. But the weird thing is, is that it still draws like 250mA an only emits like 5mW of red light!
WTF! :mad:

You WILL see a very dim red light with these IR diodes. Have you tested the output? You aren't looking at the dim red light are you?

Peace,
dave

Are you using "5mW" as a general statement for "dim"? because 200mW of 808 will look like a lot less than 5mW of red.

JLSE

Considering the datasheet says for barcode scanners... You may want to get your eyes checked.

daguin

Liberty1992 said:
it would suck it he stared into the beam because he thought it was broken.

Well he's not blind. He's still around. He posted in a thread today. However, he deleted his original post here.

Peace,
dave

Speaking of that, what's inside a barcode scanner?
A diode with a line generating optic?

Yeah I talked to Greg they're legit. I had IR glasses so I can still see. :cool: What happened was I overpowered and killed the diode right from the start so it was only lasing a very dim red light that wasn't burning anything. :(
IR is lame anyways. The other diode I used to revive old of my old 20mW green laser modules. ;)

My IR lasers aren't lame. They are very powerful, and its hard to go back to burning with anything else. :)

JLSE

billg519 said:
My IR lasers aren't lame. They are very powerful, and its hard to go back to burning with anything else.  :)

HMMmmm, 4000mW vs maybe 200mW  :eek:HUGE DIFFERENCE :eek: AND NOWHERE NEAR LAME :cool:

I like IR, because the safety goggles aren't very colored! The one thing I don't like about safety goggles is that they make you see the world in one color...

i like IR, it would be a cool little tactical laser if not for the dangerous invisible beam