Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

rayfoss burning laser ?

Hey guys,

I am new to this site but not to the laser world ! ( actually I only have a 10mW green pointer) and I am a physicist so I know a little bit about lab laser !

here s my question: I want to buy my first burning laser at a reasonable price. from what I read on the site rayfoss seems to be very good for the quality/price, So i would go with them unless someone propose me something else.
what output power should I choose to be able to light matches and burn black plastic bad ? is 100mW enough ? because I would like it small (pointer size if possible)

Also are red pointer better at burning than green ?

thanks for you info

Hello and welcome.

For the best price to power ratio a 200mw red would be the best option.

Just remember eye safety, a pair of protective goggles is highly recommended.

mat.jpg

I have compiled a list of "must read" information, it will make your time with us more productive and pleasant.

Laser Resources (for n00bs and veterans alike!)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f36/looking-build-laser-read-me-47684.html

Sam's Laser FAQ (The Laser Bible)

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserfaq.htm

RP Photonics Encyclopedia of Laser Physics and Technology

http://www.rp-photonics.com/encyclopedia.html

Welcome to the forums!

Well all the lasers are the same according to the MW but colors just make the beam brighter. For example if u compare a 200mw red and a 200mw green i believe (correct me if im wrong)that the green 1 will be brighter but they have the exact same burning ability/power

ok, thanks
So I finally made my choice, after seeing a review, I ordered a 150mw blu-ray pointer from o-like
405nm 150mW blu-ray pen /adjustable [OLBVL150] - $95.99 : O-Like, Quality Products, Great Prices

and these pair of protective goggles,
532nm,473nm,405nm laser goggles [OLSG532] - $19.99 : O-Like, Quality Products, Great Prices

there is not a lot of info on the o-like website so I sent an email to customer service to get more detail about them, still waiting on this email ! 20 dollars is kind of cheap but to protect my eyes from reflection I think it will be ok, what do you guys think ?

Benm

Why did you go for the bluray?

I'd say a red laser still gives more bang for the buck when it comes to burning power, and its a lot more visible than the bluray too.

One advantage of bluray is that they can burn white fluorescent materials like common paper too - the power lost in the stokes shift is often enough to get it hot and charred a bit, after which it starts absorbing light and you can burn through.

I know but I decided I was willing to pay more to get a green or blue laser, red is too common and I wanted it quite small, I know it will dissipate heat less efficiently but it,s ok with me .
So you think I will be able to burn normal sheets of paper? that would be nice !!
will I see the beam or just the point ?

and shockwave88 thanks for the recommendation but I wanted something from the same site to avoid paying 2 shipping and for it to arrive at the same time! from what I read dragonlaser is only good for their goggle or are their laser good too ?

The lasers are also good but i find them a little expensive
but thats just me :p

Last edited: