Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rastafarian RGY tube ;)

So I finally got ticking away with a multimode 543.5nm that I'd had sitting around. Decided to finally splice an alden cable to it, and fire it up.

By itself, a beautiful green. Elegant, and nice to have a stable 543.5 :)

Then I put a broadband HR on one end, and a yellow -> red on the other.

What I got was mind blowing ;)

Rastafarian tube, maaaan ;)

With just the red broadband HR, I get a spot of 50/50 yellow/green. Man, is that a site. Truly beautiful. A lemon yellow spot, that I can "tune" to more green or yellow based on alignment of the external mirror. What a gorgeous tube :)

Tried getting a beamshot, but I can't pick it up on my phone. Oddly enough, the green goes beyond the beam of the yellow, since it's multimode.

A wicked cool laser :)

A pic of an all in one RGY ;) Crappy, but it's the best I can do.

jt3v.jpg

Where did you manage to get a multiline GreeNe? I heard those were wicked rare D:

Without mirrors, it's single line. :p

The mirrors brought out the goods :) For a moment, I had an orange line coming in semi-stably. Though it only lasted a couple seconds, and I didn't see all lines at once, so max I recorded with my eyes was 3 at once.

Though 4 would be possible with a different HR pared with the Krypton. The one I was using had a weird RoC that didn't match up with the tube, so it diverged greatly.

Wait so changing the mirrors on our HeNe's may produce a multiline HeNe? Mind=blown

Not changing the mirrors.

DO NOT TRY TO CHANGE YOUR MIRRORS!!!

Removing the mirrors will break the seal with the tube, releasing the gas fill.

I am using EXTERNAL optics that allow the lines passing through the original mirrors, to instead reflect, resonating through the tube, and lasing.

Is the tube a bare tube, like one of the Meredith ones, or is it something special?

It is a REO head.

So it's a glass/metal tube (it goes from metal to glass at the end) mounted in a metal head.

bloom you dirty dog! +1 you convinced me to finally get my green tube going about a week ago, and now you are trying to take the rest of my paycheck with your exploratory EM physics. Cheers! :beer:

Wow. This is awesome. You continue to inspire me to fill my home with gas lasers. My wife and I are arm wrestling over it as I type this (one handed).

Keep rockin', bro!

c

Very cool. Wish I had the optics to test my bare tubes to see if I've managed to get lucky and get a multiline tube. I dunno who makes my 594 tube but it's just like the tube you described. Mostly metal with glass at the end.

If I could accurately film the "pulsing" between the 594.1 and 543.5, I would.

The 594.1 isn't stable. It actually pulses, and competes heavily with the 543.5. When it's in, the other is weaker. The 594.1nm is often more powerful.

If I wave my hand away from the beam, perpendicular to it, so I can see a flash of the beam, it will have sections of green and yellow.

It's lovely :)

If my luck is strong, I will find a decent littrow prism and try to build my own tunable HeNe with 543.5nm. Though I'd also need a 543.5nm brewster tube. Those are about as hard to find as actual tunable HeNes ...

Very cool. Wish I had the optics to test my bare tubes to see if I've managed to get lucky and get a multiline tube. I dunno who makes my 594 tube but it's just like the tube you described. Mostly metal with glass at the end.

Post of pic of it. It's likely REO, and if so, it may be worth checking if it's already multiline. 2 of my 3 REO tubes are multiline, and all 3 are if you include external optics.

I simply don't accept a tube into my life unless I can torture it with optics :p

Last edited:
So think you can ID this tube bloom? :crackup:

2013-10-03_10-20-53pm by ltkernelpanic, on Flickr

Yeah I forgot there was a big ass label on the damned tube. Sadly no other lines appeared with just my 1000 line diffraction grating. I wonder if my diffraction mirror would be better.

Last edited:
Yep, old REO 594.1nm. Actually, there's another exact model on eBay right now. Waiting on confirmation from seller as to whether it works or not.