Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[RANT] Misquoting Output Power

xoul

Why is misquoting laser output power seem to be such a popular trend? Especially among chinese vendors. F**king stop it. I'm just now getting into lasers and I'm very frustrated that I don't really have an understanding of how much power equates to a certain level of performance, since I'm being told that the "400mW" lasers I bought from a chinese site are more like 50mw...

I understand laser power meters aren't exactly given away in your box of Cracker Jacks, but how could it get so far out of hand? Oh well. I feel a little better now.

[/rant]

That is so bad!
If it was a true green it would be 532nm, not 405 to 473nm.

This would be the big reason you only buy lasers from a reputable seller.

Color: Green Laser Pointer
Function: For Outdoor Sporting
Output Range: 250mw-2000mw
Output: 400mW
Wave Length Range: 405nm-473nm
Wave Length: 405nm
Shape: Flashlight Shaped
Material: Stainless Steel
Power Supply: 1 x 16340 Battery
Operation Voltage(V): 3.6V

615px-Picard-no-facepalm.jpg

Last edited:

xoul

Yeah i know right. But even more well known dealers like wickedlasers sell "1W" Spyder III Arctics that actually measure in the 700mw's. I heard about Survival Laser on these forums and they seem pretty reputable and based in the USA, and actually post screen shots of power meter readings, which I admire them for, so i'll probably be buying from them in the future.

More and more, chinese suppliers misquoting has become the rule vs the exception. If they can make one sale based on made up specs, it's worth it to them. Once they have your money, their side of the deal is done, and they know you can't go back on it, and have no recourse.

I've been dealing with this in unexpected places, that I'll likely be detailing on LPF in the next few days. But in short, I don't think there's any chinese supplier we can trust anymore.

xoul

I'm trying to see if Paypal will refund me since they grossly misquoted the power, wish me luck on that. I agree with you Aryntha, it's definately becoming the rule to misquote power.

I don't want to have the shallow mentality that all chinese vendors are crooks, but COME ON.

Just do what I do.

Advertised power X .30 = Actual Measurable Output Power + or - another 100mws lol

There might be some kind of method that vendors follow since its such a commonly copied practice... or they might just not ever actually measure, and instead "look the other way" when presented with a power meter.

Misquoting is the new term for lies? Your generous with your wording.

Why is misquoting laser output power seem to be such a popular trend? Especially among chinese vendors. F**king stop it. I'm just now getting into lasers and I'm very frustrated that I don't really have an understanding of how much power equates to a certain level of performance, since I'm being told that the "400mW" lasers I bought from a chinese site are more like 50mw...

I understand laser power meters aren't exactly given away in your box of Cracker Jacks, but how could it get so far out of hand? Oh well. I feel a little better now.

[/rant]

Contact the seller and see if he will refund the payment if the item
is returned. (Only ship it back with tracking and signature)

Since the cheapo Chinese sellers are greedy and want to sell at
any cost... Let them know that you are a member of the Largest
Laser Forum and that you will let everyone know about their
underspec Lasers if they do not resolve your issue with the Laser
you purchased from them.

If they want to sell here... they will bend backwards to help you.

BTW... don't tell them which Laser Forum or we'll have them
SPAMMING the Forum...

Jerry

Last edited:
Ha, I saw a 1000mw green laser on Aliexpress for $26.00. I bet that is real, and saw a 6000mw 445nm laser on there as well. I don't understand the output "inflation" as I like to call it. Seriously, 10% 20% might be believable, but 6000mw? They're just making themselves look #$#@ stupid.

Ha, I saw a 1000mw green laser on Aliexpress for $26.00. I bet that is real, and saw a 6000mw 445nm laser on there as well. I don't understand the output "inflation" as I like to call it. Seriously, 10% 20% might be believable, but 6000mw? They're just making themselves look #$#@ stupid.

They don't care. All they care about is saying whatever they have too to make the next sale. They know they're lying. The probably know most people don't buy it.. but they do know there's no shortage of suckers out there who don't really know anything about lasers other than they're 'cool' and 'higher numbers are better'.

Power isn't the only thing they lie about either. You generally can't trust them selling rare wavelengths either.. like Ablaze's '470nm' module.. Or the 'ebay 635's' There are worse, and more surprising examples too, but that's Aryntha's story to tell when he's ready.

Last edited:
I thought manufacturers bulk buy 1,000 diodes which range from 500mw to 1,000mw then just use them all in lasers advertised as 1,000mw. Manually testing powers is a tedious and expensive process that pushes up the prices.

Plus hardly any people have LPMs, so they get away with it. Well, at least until someone does a review with an LPM reading here.

I thought manufacturers bulk buy 1,000 diodes which range from 500mw to 1,000mw then just use them all in lasers advertised as 1,000mw. Manually testing powers is a tedious and expensive process that pushes up the prices.

Plus hardly any people have LPMs, so they get away with it. Well, at least until someone does a review with an LPM reading here.

If you mean the 445's, There's only one source for those diodes.. even for the chinese laser manufacturers.. Certain projectors. And these diodes are all capable of 1.6W or so at minimum.. The only reason the arctic doesn't hit 1W is because they cheaped out on the drivers.

if you want a good cheap laser that has the power that is being sold to you go to lazerer. They one of the only reputable chinese sellers i know and they test every laser they sell