Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radioshack laser mod

So,here's the deal i buyed a radioshack red laser , its pretty cool but it is just 5mW and i want to burn stuff with it or pop balloons. I though about pot modding it but it doesn't have the screw, could you please help me and tell me if i can mod it and how, thanks

Here's the photo's: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

What color is it?
As a new member you should introduce yourself in the welcome section and be sure and read rules and stickies!

Oh btw Welcome to the forum.

Yeah they are FAQ's about pot modding but i wanted to know if i had a pot but it was different than others pot's and by the way my laser is red

No you would not be able to get it to burn, you would probably kill it like a lot of others have done.

It is probably fixed and you won't be able to. You be better off just buying a different more powerful laser.
You could always post pictures of the driver, someone might help you out.

Yeah youre right , is a 100 mw ok for burning? Do i need glasses for 100mw?

Last edited:
You NEED glasses for 100mw and you pretty much want them for anything greater than a 5mw.

Now,

100mw won't work well for burning especially with a red laser pointer. A 100mw 405nm (violet) laser world heat black materials up slowly but honestly your best bet is a DIY 445nm. Inexpensive, and very impressive in my opinion. =)
Be sure to do some research on what all you need for a build first and if you don't think you have a good chance at success look in the "Buy, sell, trade" section because there are always nice lasers for sale by reputable members.

Last edited:
So 200mW is ok for burning or should i go higher i liked the one mentioned by 00Giorge and is not pricey so i think im going to buy that one but i keep searching

Wellll.... I have never had any luck burning with red. The smaller the wavelength the higher the energy, and therefore the more it will burn.

So for burning would you recommend violet or green? And could you suggest me a cheap burning able laser

For burning you should first get some glasses, then get a high powered violet or blue. Green will be brighter but burning will be more expensive as the diode will have to be a higher power.