Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Qustions from a Nova 200 owner

I just received my Nova 200 (It is amazing!) and I have 3 questions:

1. How long can I continuously leave the laser on without hurting it?
2. How do they get a PEAK mW? In other words, how do they get it to perform so it PEAKs at 330mW if the continuous is 250mW? Can I reproduce that PEAK power as well?
3. Would I hurt my eyes if I turned it on inside and aimed it at a wall while looking at the beam or dot? Assume the wall is only painted and not metallic or reflective, just normal paint. Is the reflection enough to cause injury to me or anyone else.

It is a really remarkable instrument, but I wanted to get some clarification on these things before I use it. I don’t want to take any big risks so some feedback would be great. I already ordered goggles from Nova. They are not here yet. The problem is that with the goggles on, I will not be able to see the beam indoors.

Thanks

enzo

Ashton

1. dont know, I have an X-series
2. When the IR hits the crystals it does not instantly produce Xmws, it will go up and down as the crystals warm to optimal temparature and reach saturation. peak is within moments of bieng turned on then it slowly levels out. Every time you turn it on, you produce a peak power before it levels off.
3. oh dang yes! I have white walls and my 100mw greenie is almsot blinding. PERMANENT damage is NO but it will 'hurt' and it will cause flashblindness, even mroeso than a red of double the power! and the BEAM will nto hurt your eyes period, just the dot, the beam is beautiful to look at, I could stare at mine for hours if not for the 100sec duity cycle (and, well battery power... but still,....)

i think it has no duty cycle, because nova doesn't state a duty cycle on its website. I don't think they forgot to add it there because they recommended duty cycles on all of their other series.

LarryQ

Ashton said:
1. dont know, I have an X-series
2. When the IR hits the crystals it does not instantly produce Xmws, it will go up and down as the crystals warm to optimal temparature and reach saturation. peak is within moments of bieng turned on then it slowly levels out. Every time you turn it on, you produce a peak power before it levels off.
3. oh dang yes! I have white walls and my 100mw greenie is almsot blinding. PERMANENT damage is NO but it will 'hurt' and it will cause flashblindness, even mroeso than a red of double the power! and the BEAM will nto hurt your eyes period, just the dot, the beam is beautiful to look at, I could stare at mine for hours if not for the 100sec duity cycle (and, well battery power... but still,....)

Dittos on what Ashton replied.....

You have one heck of a laser there...remember to treat it with a TON of respect.....
Without Laser goggles..I would not do anything other than Star Point with it!!!

200+ Mw is a lot of power.

LarryQ

Also, What is the reason for the on/off aperature? Is it merely to keep the lens from getting dust and particles on it?

Ashton

And to protect your eyes incase you pick it up upside down and turn it on (or more likely some kid does) I've almost blinded myself several times with my atek and more often before with my pulsar because the button was so sensative!

danq

Ashton said:
...and the BEAM will nto hurt your eyes period, just the dot, the beam is beautiful to look at, I could stare at mine for hours if not for the 100sec duity cycle...
this could use some clarification, or emphasis - by "the BEAM" I think Ashton means the light path that you see in the air, which is safe to look at. But DO NOT look into the laser, or even turn it on without everybody around wearing protection! (including the neighbor's dog [smiley=cool.gif]) That one's powerful enough to do a lot of damage even with secondary reflections, at some distance.

Assuming your wall has nothing reflective on it; and that you won't slip and accidentally reflect it off a window or a glass on the table or something; and assuming your dog or cat or kid doesn't run/jump in front of you (or at the spot on the wall); then you'll all be safe [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

enzothecat said:
The problem is that with the goggles on, I will not be able to see the beam indoors.
imho: better that, than not being able to see indoors :eek:

Congrats to enzo for asking the questions! Caution should be the default with these things rather than "what can I get away with". I hate to sound like an overly-cautious old fart, but a 250-mw laser deserves a lot of respect. I know from experience what it's like to be dis-abled and it's even less fun than putting on goggles...

(my disability wasn't visual and only lasted a few years, but it left me with an appreciation of all those working, coordinated body parts)

by the way, 'disabled' people are normal - everyone gets there at some point - we are all only temporarily enabled ! enjoy it while it lasts, and make it last while you enjoy it...

Take care... then take careful aim ;)

DanQ

Nova owners,
I got Nova sport goggles, they are not to strong, so wearing them does not prevent U from seeing the beam target.

HAVE SAFE FUN

PS: PM me if they gave U a LPF discount on the goggles. They told me "no discount on goggles". Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. This is a pretty friendly place to be. I was afraid I'd get torn apart for asking what you all must consider to be naive questions. I have had green lasers in the past that I have modified and wanted something really fun. Thanks again and great forum!

enzo

It all started with atlasnova

Laserrod said:
PS: PM me if they gave U a LPF discount on the goggles. They told me "no discount on goggles". Thanks
cheapest non-WL goggles i've seen are from optotronics, $46 for 532nm 2.75 OD ones.

Freyth

nes-des on this forum sells the cheapest 532nm safety goggles. Try looking in the BST forum.