Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quick recommended lens and power setting... ??

I'm going to put together my next 445mn as soon as possible... I'm sick of waiting for my Kryton order to show up.
I'm going to use a Trustfire A10B 18650 host... hard anodized, cheap, quality, very compact, and still uses an 18650.
I'll use a solid copper heatsink/pill with a an A140 diode pressed into a copper Aixiz head.
(FYI - The Trustfire A10B is a great flashlight for $13 and easily as bright as a Surefire G2X. I recommend it. )

The only question I have is what lens to use and what power to set it at.

I have a DrLava MicroBoost which is good up to 1000mA. Would it be worth it to pick up a FlexDrive so I can go up to 1250mA? I hear 1.25A is a sweet spot for these diodes. Will the beam be noticably brighter at 1250mA versus 1000mA?

Also, I'm a beam and a dot guy. I don't necessarily care about max power or burning things. Should I go with a 405-G1/G2 lens or just stick with the Aixiz/Olike 3 element lens? From what I understand the 3 element lenses are a bit less powerful but produce better beams & divergence. Isn't this correct?

Last edited:

Blord

Re: Quick reccomended lens and power setting... ??

If you are a beam/spot guys then better use the 3 element glass lens. The G1/G2 will only add more power and it is much more expensive than the glass lens. Differences in beam quality is almost non-existence.

1000mA is plenty enough current for the 445nm diode. I wouldn't buy the Flexdrive if you already have the Microboost. At these currents you need to heat sinked the drivers. That is a must.

Last edited:

I'd go with the Aixiz glass lens for the cleanest beam/spot. The difference between 1000 and 1250mA will be fairly hard to spot by eye.. whether it's worth it or not is up to you.

1000mA is plenty enough current for the 445nm diode. I wouldn't buy the Flexdrive if you already have the Microboost. At these currents you need to heat sinked the drivers. That is a must.

Yeah, I figure a solid copper HS/pill for the driver & diode will be needed and I'm also excited about the new copper aixiz heads I can press into my heatsink. Here's the HS/pill I did for my 650mW 445nm. It's machined and positioned so the diode leads solder directly to the driver.

I actually don't already have a microboost... I have the 650mW laser assembly shown below in a 14500 host. I was just going to pull it out of the old 14500 host, crank the pot up to the maximum 1000mA, and then reinstall it into a copper sleeve to make it larger for the bigger 18650 host. Basically all the work is done... I'd only have to crank up the power and machine a copper sleeve to stick in the larger host.

I'm debating with myself if going with a flexdrive (1250mA) and copper aixiz head (the unit below has a modified brass aixiz head) is worth the trouble of building a whole new laser assembly. I'd have a better laser and wouldn't have to tear apart the old laser... but I'd have alot more work starting all over. What do you think?

Last edited: