Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions on testing if diode "burned out"

What happened to all the old FAQs? Sorry search bring anything up. Before I run off to work. Like to know how to do this.

I had laser just stop working on me. My 330mW blu-ray. Sometimes it gets fussy, I pressed it to power on and that was it. Nothing else, no modding or anything stupid. Anyway, extremely stupid question I want to use my power supply see if it's the diode that's burned out or the just the back spring that's the issue. I have a power supply and can connect it. Do I just connect it right on the driver's spring and run the current to test it? I'm not sure that's correct have to check before doing it.

I'd set it at 4.1 volts (same as the battery used, a cr123a) as for mA 330 was the setting. Just need to know where the leads should go. I'd guess both on the driver spring but I want to be 100% sure with this. I've used a power supply directly on a cheap diode but never on a diode with a driver attached so I'm unsure.

Last edited:

thats what I would do, you must know what lead to connect to the drivers spring. one lead from the power supply goes to the spring the other lead connects to the case. just get the polarity correct.

Best of luck Pyro...

Well this isn't good... using putting the postive lead to the driver and the negative lead to the case or spring simply produces voltage I see the current goes into the driver. I've used both leads togeather which does generate current and the diode is not working...

The leads I have are pointy ones I need to buy clip ones next times time I go to fry's but that shouldn't matter. Guess the diode is burned out. Anymore suggestions?

Try another diode or test (dummy) load that you know works, then you'll know if the problem is your driver or your diode.

thanks,
Kendall