Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions for a newbie!

Hey everyone,
I have some questions to make about lasers. I am new to lasers so these might sound ridiculous questions.
So first of:
-What is nm and how does it effect the laser
-Are red lasers better for burning stuff?
-Are there diodes for example 50mw that can burn, and some that cant burn?
-Thanks,
Alex

Gun

These are simple questions that you could have researched but here it goes.

Nm is nanometres, it affects the colour of the laser.

I think a general rule is the lower the nm, the better the burner. I think.

Yes depending on focus and wavelength.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
I have some questions to make about lasers. I am new to lasers so these might sound ridiculous questions.
So first off
-What is nm and how does it effect the laser
-Are red lasers better for burning stuff?
-Are there diodes for example 50mw that can burn, and some that cant burn?
-Thanks,
Alex

your Qs are not 'ridiculous questions' but the answers are just too easy to find on your own- try our search-google-& Sam's Laser FAQ etc.

AND if all your are interested in is burning 'stuff' get some matches or a bic lighter faster and way cheaper too.

most mature laser fans still do like a good burning demo but we kinda look upon this aspect as more for the beginners-- hopefully you will get past that w/o hurting any critters- other people, yourself or our 'hobby'.

a much better intro of yourself could and would have been a much better way to begin here-

READ a few pages of threads in the welcome section for a guideline-- read the TOS and check out the stickies in every section- i know members who read here for months even longer before posting.. also please finish filling out your personal profile and be honest!! you dont want to get banned for fibbing do you? I thought not.:whistle:

SO there may not be any/many more posts in this thread.. but make a proper intro and we will show respect back towards you. ;)

hope you enjoy our forum---hak:D