Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions before I ignite a Li-Ion battery

Hello!

I've recently come into possession of one of the ubiquitous YL-Laser 301's, and I had some questions before I did anything with it. First, the BTL 18650 6000mAh 3.7V battery was in the host with its' negative end facing the tailcap. Looking inside, I can see a spring coming off of the driver, toward the business end. Is negative-to-tailcap the correct orientation, or no? What would happen if it were put in the other way? Secondly, I've got a charger for the battery as well, is there anything I should know before hooking that up to charge?

What's a YL-Laser 301? If it's a DPSS 532nm green laser the modules are usually case-positive, so the battery's negative is towards the laser module's driver (usually has a spring) and the positive is on the endcap side. If it's any of the other colors and not DPSS it's the other way around. For your charger, I'd look for markings on the charger to see what orientation it expects.

I see. I thought as such. Do you also know if there's any way to tell if it has an IR filter on it?

Cell phones can pick up IR wavelengths as light pink soooo I'm not exactly sure what you guys are trying to do but a cell phone is basically a IR camera :)

The infamous and ubiquitous 301's are cheap Chinese made mass produced with no quality control. It won't have an IR filter, and don't expect the power to be what it says, it may be much less or could even be more.

Alan

By your thread title i thought you were going to toss a Li-Ion into a fire to see if they REALLY do explode??!!! (a bad idea BTW)

---asking the forum about polarity is not always a great idea either - that info NEEDS to come from the SELLER--

ANd trust me it is NOT always the same and i have lasers with springs at both ends --so the spring goes to + or - is not true every time- i have seen maybe 100 penpointers and NONE had neg end to the tailcap UNTIL recently - I got a trio (RGB) and ONLY the green took + end to the front- my seller did not tell me that until AFTER I asked for replacement- I only test VERY quickly, as a long test can kill the driver- whereas a short test just might forgive you for the mistake. General rule- NEVER guess polarity - (advice from DTR)

also if your LPM still shows (much) power after going thru your eyeware for green that is IR 'leaking'- as most of the green will be blocked by the goggles- & there are other ways as well.
and a... IR filter added to see is there is much of a power drop -(<$10) as that filter blocks IR -

I also suggest that you make a nice 'intro' thread and place it in the Welcome section where ALMOST all other members have made such a thread (simply good manners IMO)& gives us a place to say 'welcome' ... hak

Last edited: