Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

questions and concerns about the "5mw" greenie i have

so i bought this "5mw" green laser off of ebay about 5 months ago and was wondering if you should be able to see the beam partially in daylight and if the beam should be VERY bright green during nightime or do you think it is overspec and i need to start wearing goggles with it...

My amazon 5mW laser pointer has a good beam at night but you can barely see it in dim areas so you could have an over powered laser. I don't think you should wear goggles though. It'd definitely reduce something happening but just be careful with it and you should be perfectly fine dude.

If it was rated for 5mW it's probably not over 50mW and that could damage
an eye but with out a LPM you will really never know just how many photons
are coming out of it so to be safe be very careful or get goggles !

Last edited:
You probably have a very overspec greenie. (My guess in the 30-60mW range.)

Don't go waving it around like crazy, be mindful of reflections, and you should be fine.

If you're worried, stick to using it strictly outside at night to point at tree tops.

Of course goggles never hurt anyone, so you can get yourself a set for use with hat 100mW from lazerer I see in your signature.

Also the "5mW" 405nm is likely overspec. They are usually in the 40-100mW range. Actual 5mW of 405nm is very very dim.

what type of goggles go with the 5mw 405nm? is it the same goggles i use for the green? i have 2 pairs of goggles for the green lasers i have lol.

No, specific goggles block specific wavelengths, so 532nm goggles would not block 405nm too well.

Ablaze

A genuine 5mw green will have a visible beam on a dark night if there's a touch of fog or dust in the air. Yours sounds well overspec.

Personally, I find lasers that bright to be un-useful. If I were you I would skip the glasses and just get an actual 5mw greenie.

I would tend to suggest the opposite...get the proper goggles. And get good quality ones too.
If you are like most other laser hounds you will eventually start moving up to more powerful and different color lasers which will REQUIRE safety goggles to be safe. So take a few moments now to include your future requirements as well.
You can't be too safe and you might end up saving your eyes AND a few bucks in the long run.