Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about laser safety goggles

So I've built quite a few lasers over the months, and I'm now thinking about buying laser safety goggles. So I went on the OEM website and found those :

LD4 - Visible Laser Diode Protection LD4 Laser Protective Eyewear [NOR-LD4-00000] - $73.23

It says it protect against visible lasers, but is it good enough for lasers over 200mW? Because I'm building a TEC cooled red laser labby and I'm gonna try to reach up close to 300mW. The other thing is that I don't want a pair of goggles for each wavelength. I also found those :

Red laser beam protection 640-750nm – Laser Eyewear :: Laser Safety Glasses :: Dragon Lasers

They do protect against blu-ray, red an IR, but they are out of stock (if it says that they are in stock, try adding it to your cart, it will say it's empty). Anybody know where I could find other goggles similar to these, but at a better price?

Thank you.

D

Deleted member 8382

Buying googles for every wavelenght is like having those googles that are used to solder or to view eclipses. Googles are just a filter, if you filter all the light you won't see nothing!

k1kb0t

For the first question, the equation used to know if the OD is sufficient is:

InputPower / 10^(-OD)

Where InputPower is in Watts (not milliwatts). Therefore those first goggles with OD2 would be perfectly fine for your 300mW laser (0.3W / 10^(-2) = 0.003W = 3mW). You want the transmitted power to be less than 5mW.

Having multiple goggles can actually be more cost-saving. I've got some wider-range ML7 goggles, and they cover green (OD2.5), violet (OD5) and IR (OD3.7+), but only about OD 1.5 for red. They were obtained via a group buy so I didn't pay the $150 they're listed there for. The thing is, I still need to swap goggles for red since it's only OD 1.5. I mostly got them so I'd have IR protection along with the green.

For you, you only need the two hobby goggles they offer cover all three of the major visible wavelengths. That'll cost you about $100, which isn't bad, and OD2 will protect you up to 500mW.