Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question Regarding Dual Diode Lasers

Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is not the correct place to post this, I have a question regarding dual diodes.

As I stated in an Earlier Linkl I am looking to buy a laser to point out stars and burn menacing snails.

Initially I fell in love with the 405nm colour. But sadly as many have been helpful to point out - this is the wrong wave length for what I have imagined.

Today I was poking around and found this:

Dual Diode

A dual diode laser.

I'm imagining such a thing does not come in a handheld laser? If it does, does it require an exteremly short duty cycle? With two diodes I'd imagine the heat sink quite large and the need for batteries quite... I don't know the word cumbersome?

Does anyone have any experience with this. If so given my purposes do you think there is a greater benefit to dual diode lasers?

Does anyone on the forum build them?

Are my notions with the Duty Cycle and power supply accurate?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Reactions: ARG

Several people here have built two and even three diode hand held lasers but I think they were all custom one of a kind builds. Its not something real easy and yes as you guessed, it requires a larger host/heat sink. It is easier with a labby than a hand held. Some people do it to combine different colors but some have done it to build powerful lasers in the 4w to 5w range. I think Mrcrouse can make a host for one of these, I don't know the cost but then you will have to build the laser yourself or have someone do it for you and it wont be cheap.

Alan

Hi everyone,

As I stated in an Earlier Linkl I am looking to buy a laser to point out stars and burn menacing snails.
Menacing snail? I don't get it... Language barrier anyone? :confused:

and the need for batteries quite... I don't know the word cumbersome?
Big?
Well I'd be more worried with the optics than batteries. Aligning everything up should be very hard. And the expenses on a adequate heatsink for 2 diodes, + cube, waveplate... yeah this is not your average weekend project. Unless you have a lathe/cnc and can operate it.... :beer:

Hmm. Thanks everyone. This doesn't seem like something I can build just yet, do people on the forum build them for sale. Thanks for putting up your website Arg, the blue and green beams are just unreal looking in certain pictures they look almost entirely like solid bars of light. Its incredible.

Hmm. Thanks everyone. This doesn't seem like something I can build just yet, do people on the forum build them for sale. Thanks for putting up your website Arg, the blue and green beams are just unreal looking in certain pictures they look almost entirely like solid bars of light. Its incredible.

well.. there is a way .
A little laser RGB laser module sold by Techhood on eBay
3 colors , TTL modulated.
Good cooling.
rgb4.jpg

AWESOME color

rgb1.jpg

Poor snails :cryyy:

Good luck with your quest SZ :beer:

~ LB

Thank you! Most everyone has been so helpful.

well.. there is a way .
A little laser RGB laser module sold by Techhood on eBay
3 colors , TTL modulated.
Good cooling.
rgb4.jpg

AWESOME color

rgb1.jpg

That is incredible. Thank you for the information. I'll have to make time to read and understand it.