Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Question on what type of laser to buy

Tonyd8195

Good evening, I'm looking for a laser that I can pop a balloon with, or light a match in my fireplace with from a distance. Color doesn't matter as long as it isn't red. Would any of that be possible with a $50 budget? I've been researching and as far as I'm concerned I need a laser with at least 100mw? Thanks for the help in advance.

Last edited:

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
Take away $30-$50 for safety goggles first :)

-Alex

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take that as a no? Haha !
Not if you want a quality one :D

I would recommend doing some searching around the forums(we have some great introduction threads in the "General" section) and getting to know lasers a little more. 100mW's isn't something you should take lightly friend.

-Alex

Laser Chick

Hi Tonyd8195, welcome to the forum :wave:
It looks like you will be using it inside/close up so you will need safety goggles as LeHap stated and that will use up most of your budget right there. To get a decent burning laser you will probably be around $150. Enjoy, have fun but be safe!!

APEX1

you can get a decent pair of safety glasses on ebay for under 15$ I wouldn't recommend using them with anything over 1w though, I have used them many times until I got my Eaglepair but nonetheless it was fine!!!