Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about TV remotes and IR laser

I read somewhere that TV sensors and remotes emit 940nm Light. now i want to replace that with a 940nm laser but the lowest powered one i saw was 1W... I dont want to burn my TV, so does anyone have a low powered 5-10mW 940nm IR module?
Will 980nm laser work as an alternative? its by 40nm. Should i buy from aixiZ and try it?

Benm

I suppose it would work if you wanted a super long distance remote, for controlling a tv 100 meters away or something like that. Provided the driver is fast enough, it will work as intended.

There are several frequencies used for IR remotes, but most are in the 35-50 kHz modulation range. Any driver intended for TTL modulation should be able to handle that just fine, but switching drivers for CW at that rate can be problematic if they are not designed to do so.

You need to do a little reasearch.... before asking
questions you can easily answer yourself... IMO..

Look on eBay.... you will find a lot of LDs under 1 Watt...

Jerry

You need to do a little reasearch.... before asking
questions you can easily answer yourself... IMO..

Look on eBay.... you will find a lot of LDs under 1 Watt...

Jerry

Thanks, because my TV remote sucks and i guess i want to use a laser that has divergence to make the aiming thing easier

You can toss a few transistors & extra IR LEDs together & boost your remotes output. A laser isn't necessary by any means. Off the top of my head I recall LadyAda has schematics for boosting IR in her tvbgone pages.

Last edited:

Benm

Ofcourse you can.. or even go the extra bit and use a 1W IR led on a star - no need to aim at all then, even the wall behind you will make a fine reflector using that amount of light ;)

Using a laser (low powered is fine!) you could pull pranks like changing someones channels from the other end of the street. Dont use high powered laser diodes though, power and invisibility are a dangerous mix which could cause you to accidently turn off someones vision permanently :D

HIMNL9

"Brand new IR-multiwatt remote controller ..... change the channels of all the TV for miles around your house" ..... :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

(sorry, just kidding ..... can't resist :p :D)

"Brand new IR-multiwatt remote controller ..... change the channels of all the TV for miles around your house" ..... :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Haha thats cool. lol i bought a cheap universal remote just today and i want to add a IR laser so i can turn off my friend's tv from outside his house.
But i dont think IR can go through walls...

Ofcourse you can.. or even go the extra bit and use a 1W IR led on a star - no need to aim at all then, even the wall behind you will make a fine reflector using that amount of light ;)

Using a laser (low powered is fine!) you could pull pranks like changing someones channels from the other end of the street. Dont use high powered laser diodes though, power and invisibility are a dangerous mix which could cause you to accidently turn off someones vision permanently :D
Ya thats what i was concerned about so i decided to use a 1mW IR laser that has very bad divergence

mfo

Lol, that would be awesome!

But back on topic...I saw a kipkay hack (I know, stupid me) in which he placed some aluminum foil around the LED, and behind it (Picture how a car's headlight works). I guess in theory it should work, but I've never tried it. Maybe you should see if it works, this way kipkay will have been good for at least one thing around here....