Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about Red Lasers

biddar

how are red lasers visibility, im going to be buying a 150-200mW red but im worried about how its visibiliy is going to be i want it to be seen in a slightly lit room

KiLLrB

here is a visible representation of how bright the eye sees different colors at the same power
EM-spectrum.jpg

red will be less visible than green at the same power so if you want visibility go for green

red is much less visible than green, so you'll always be at a disadvantage in terms of visibility when using it. Here's a chart showing the range of human color sensitivity: Eye Color Sensitivity

biddar

red is much less visible than green, so you'll always be at a disadvantage in terms of visibility when using it. Here's a chart showing the range of human color sensitivity: Eye Color Sensitivity

i have a greener so i know how bright it can be but will i be able to see the red beam in a slightly lit room with a 150-200mw red?

KiLLrB

i have a greener so i know how bright it can be but will i be able to see the red beam in a slightly lit room with a 150-200mw red?

if you can it will be very dim without smoke/fog

mfo

here is a visible representation of how bright the eye sees different colors at the same power
EM-spectrum.jpg

red will be less visible than green at the same power so if you want visibility go for green

I disagree with that chart, there's no way in hell that red is more visible than violet.

KiLLrB

just trying to demonstrate green being brighter than red ;)

Last edited:
I disagree with that chart, there's no way in hell that red is more visible than violet.

Strictly speaking, that chart is accurate. Violet gets a boost from some extra outside forces that only affect short wavelengths, which make it appear brighter to many, but not all, people. The main thing that makes violet seem brighter is Rayleigh scattering, in which the air molecules reflect the light, thus making short wavelength beams appear brighter with less impurities in the air. People's sensitivity to this varies, though, so it's difficult to quantify how much this affects things.

Very true, not to mention that some people can hardly even see 400nm light. I have a friend who says that my 5mw red pointer is brighter in fog than my 12X Blu-ray... but that could something entirely different.

I personally can't see a 300mw red beam in a lit room. Not even while looking down the beam. It's got to be dark for my eyes to pick it up. It's about as visible as a 10mw greenie in my opinion. Hope this helps!

-Tyler

Well if you think about it, a 15mW Green is SOO much brighter then a 25mW Red :p