Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about Nd: YAG lasers

Monado

Recently I read about how a 808 nm diode can pump an a solid state laser to produce a yellow beam. But I was curious what the lasing medium would be to produce a 589nm or 593.5nm beam. Its a wikipedia article about DPSSL's and I think that it is referring to a Nd: YAP for the crystal. Im hoping someone can help me, I am trying to build a DPSSL with a yellow beam (not pulsed).
Any information is appreciated.

Wiki-Pedia article...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode-pumped_solid-state_laser

diachi

Recently I read about how a 808 nm diode can pump an a solid state laser to produce a yellow beam. But I was curious what the lasing medium would be to produce a 589nm or 593.5nm beam. Its a wikipedia article about DPSSL's and I think that it is referring to a Nd: YAP for the crystal. Im hoping someone can help me, I am trying to build a DPSSL with a yellow beam (not pulsed).
Any information is appreciated.

Wiki-Pedia article...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode-pumped_solid-state_laser

Nd:YAG or Nd:YVO4 depending on which yellow you want, they've got slightly different lines.

589 and 593.5 are produced by sum frequency generation. Instead of summing the same wavelength (normally called frequency doubling or second harmonic generation) as we do for 532nm (1064nm summed) we sum two *different* wavelengths to get 589/593.5.

Nd:YAG lases at 1064nm and 1319nm to produce 589nm by way of SFG.

Nd:YVO4 lases at 1064nm and 1342nm to produce 593.5nm by way of SFG.

Here's the equation for DFG, or difference frequency generation.

M2NyZ84.jpg

The equation for SFG is the same, you just change the "-" at the bottom to a "+". If you punch in 1064nm for both wavelengths you'll see that the math works out just the same for frequency doubling. If you punch in 1064+1342 you'll get ~593.47 and so on.

Last edited: