Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulsed Diode

Hi!! I was wondering how you make a diy laser that lases pulsed instead of CW. I know that you can build a circuit for it, but i'm not sure, because it is more powerful that way.

Kenom

dude you really need to search this forum before askin your questions. This question has been asked and answered in multiple re-incarnations.

contrary to popular belief, a pulsed laser is not really necessarily "stronger" as it's pulsed. take the higher amount of energy and break it up into flashes. Oh sure the time that it does flash is higher. but then there is a off period where you have nothing.

Oh! I have a question :)

Is there such thing out there as pulsed lasers that don't pulse one and off, but just pulse the peak? So maybe they pulse from 100mW to 200mW, 2000 times a second or something.

I'm not sure what advantage this would have, but it sounds like it might be more effective than a 150mW laser, or maybe just the same. I dunno, that's why I'm asking :)

ben74

the dragon laser Aurora GP pulses a 2000 times a second i think

you could use a regular driver and have a cap or a variable cap.

Benm

There is absolutely no use in pulsing red or blue ray lasers. Optical failure is what kills them anyway, and pulsing does nothing to mitigate that at all. For the same average power output, pulsed operation makes things worse.

There can be a good reason to pulse DPSS lasers (green or blue) since the doubling process is non-linear, and can work much better on peaks than on average power input. In the past this approach was non unusual, but with the more recent improvements in dpss crystals there seems to be no need anymore.