Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulse questions

GSS

A while back I bought a Star Trek replica phaser that was modded with a 532nm green laser. Just a quick update on this type of replica as its not the type that Jayrob mods on this forum. This one "Diamond Select Toys" has an LED that flashes to the setting on the sound board. The LED was replaced with what the builder told me is a 150mw module and thats just about all the info he knows. He has this laser module set up to the sound board just like the LED used to be so it flashes on an off when you push the momentary trigger and on the last sound setting it pulses weakly but constant. Also its running on 2 AAA,s now. Question should laser boards set up for pulsed lasers have a start soft type of driver? Or is it asking to much from what I believe is a some what cheap 532nm board which I think this has. Could this constant on and off be an issue of voltage spike?

Last edited:

Could this constant on and off be an issue of voltage spike?

Not unless he's using a garbage driver. I'll direct your attention to optical drives, where the laser diodes are turned on an off millions of times a second during disc write. These have no soft-start either.

GSS

Not unless he's using a garbage driver. I'll direct your attention to optical drives, where the laser diodes are turned on an off millions of times a second during disc write. These have no soft-start either.
Thx Cyp, Im pretty sure its just the standard 532 modules we see for sale and put the leads to from the replaced LED direct to the module.

Last edited: