Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulling apart a laser level

I spent a little pulling apart my dads laser levels, and was trying to determine if it has a Red laser diodes which might be probably the most typical forms of diodes used in the lower end outdoor laser levels or perhaps a 630nm Helium-neon laser I think the wavelength they operate at either 650nm or 630 - 635nm not sure which one. I though it could be an open diode but it really seems like it is closed since it has some kind of casing across the diode which means at least it has some protection.

The beam of light is really tiny and intense Perhaps its a diode pumped solid state laser (DPSS) - I do believe these laser beams work on more or less 670nm or 680nm. They have a higher beam feature and lower spectral bandwidth. Generally the quality and brightness is a lot more finer than the lesser nm beams.Laser levels for sale put out a beam of light that can be used as a visible chalk line when a square and level location point is needed.

The dimensions of the beam of light depends upon the size of the diode. In this instance, smaller is much better a smaller beam of light is more precise. Using a wider beam of light, the actual point of "level" may be placed anywhere inside the width of the ray. So I do think this is why the laser level line is so small and intense in order for a very precise measurement.

Right now I've the laser diode out of the level I really have to decide what I'm going to do with it now I have it, I want start a fun mission to get my teeth into, has anybody made some cool and entertaining stuff with a spare construction laser level beam

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure its not an HeNe or a DPSS laser level. ;)

I have a laser level myself and they are pretty cool. Take a look inside and see how they make the beam so narrow. On mine it looks like they just shoot the beam through lens to make the line.

Last edited:
I highly doubt the laser in that level is a DPSS laser. If you post a picture I can tell you for sure though.

I'll try to point out as many things wrong in your post as I can, I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything though...

The laser level may work on 670-80nm though I highly doubt it. Most red lasers are around 650-60nm and those shorter wavelengths would appear brighter to the eye than longer ones.

I have no idea what you mean by "higher beam feature." Wavelength has nothing to do with beam profiles though, it all has to do with how the wavelength is made and focused.

I don't see how you can judge that the laser diode has a low spectral bandwidth, you won't be able to distinguish that by eye. Even if that statement was true it doesn't amount to anything in a laser level. If the diode were to drift a few nm either way it would not effect the operation of the level in any way.

the quality and brightness is a lot more finer than the lesser nm beams

What quality? Light is light? Also lower wavelengths appear brighter to the eye (to a certain point. Anything red is going to look brighter the lower the wavelength though.) I also don't see how brightness can be fine as well, but again lower wavelengths can be focused to a smaller point if that is what you mean by fine. The laser level is not going to focus any wavelength to a point as big as the wave anyway, so that point is moot.

The size of the beam has nothing to do with the size of the diode. It has to do with how the light is focused and the properties of the emitter of the diode.

The point of level should be inside the with of the beam, that is correct. However the laser level is not going to be set up accurately enough to necessitate a finer beam. (Unless you have some super high quality laser level, even then I doubt that is necessary.)

The laser inside a laser level is not too exciting, you can make a pointer and that is about it. The diode has no special properties that make it any different from any other laser diode, be it DVD reader or grocery store pointer.

I hope some of this makes sense!

DrSid

Those levels have one useful thing in them .. line generating lens. But that's all I'm afraid.