Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PT-54 Red HexCopter spotlight

So a few things have come up about RC helos and what not and Ive had this spot light in mind for a while now. Figured I show it off because I know there will be a few people interested.

Here's the whole set up. I zip tie a lot to thins thing so I can easily remove it in the future. Just added those screw terminals today to so I can easily access the main battery input on the outside.

Powered by two iDRV3s at 2.6A each. Heatsinked to IIRC a southbridge chip heatsink from an old PC. I know I could of gone for 6A and would have been fine but during my tests I decided this was as bright as I needed. Honestly its still too bright but is really neat.

Emitter. I left the stock lens on it. may remove it to get a little bit wider of a flood but when flying at 100feet or so this will give me a nice square on the ground 20'x20' or so.

Here's a short video. Wife has the camera and you can see here back away when I take off. (she hates this thing)

I wonder how many people will call this in saying aliens are abducting sheep in the fields :)

Thanks for nerding out with me!
Speedy78

Last edited:

norbyx

Men that thing is incredible. I love it. I love the light that it produces at low altitude... very interesting.

Now why is it that wifes don't like our toys???? My wife doesn't like any of my hobbies, she has to deal with them but she won't share my enthusiasm for them.

Ha I feel ya. If it doesn't have a practical use its stupid and a waste of money in her eyes.

norbyx

Hahaha... mine says exactly the same.... wasted money. And for me wasted money is having more than 5 pair of shoes, more than 5 pants, Going to have the nails done, spending hours on the phone with their mother talking the same things EVERY day....

Can't live with them, but can't live without them.

It wasn't us.
abduction.jpg

Nice job Speedy, you Madman you ;)

~ LB

Still trying to figure out a way to switch it on in flight. I have a open channel I can use to throw a relay maybe. But This thing has enough weight already. Comes on when battery power is applied at the moment. The red and green lights on the arms are position lights that come on when the light level gets below a threshold. :)

This site might have a solution, it's an RC and robotics site. I was looking at this for a similar solution...
0J1802.200.jpg

Pololu - Pololu RC Switch with Small Low-Side MOSFET

I don't think it solves your problem as you still need a relay I think but there might be something else there that will help you. Can you go for a smaller heatsink? Very cool project.

~ LB

Last edited:
Looks like it could work. Was only pulling 1.86A when I had it on the DC power supply. I guess I could use a smaller sink for the LED. I mean it technically is forced air cooled right? :) All 6 fans blowing air around and all.

That's what I was thinking too :) Sweet hexacopter.

A bit off topic, but I just saw this and thought it was Cooool :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A4ut_4fG6A

Maybe this is a lighter solution. I'm not very electronics savvy so I'm learning too. Just an N-Channel mosfet should work. I'm hoping the signal from the RC can send a signal to "turn on" the LED in your case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te5YYVZiOKs

~ LB

Last edited: