Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PS3 lens assembly

I found the following item on eBay (my newly-registered status does not allow me to post active-linked URLs yet.  So just copy and paste the URL into your browser):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320139873436&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=011

Anyway, as you can see, the listing states "LENS ONLY" being that it is not the entire sled, just the lens assembly.  Well normally the blu-ray diode is housed on this lens assembly.  I'm trying to figure out if the seller is emphasizing "LENS ONLY" simply because it is not the entire sled or if he is emphasizing "LENS ONLY" because there is no diode present.

There is just one picture for the listing and the shot angle is just right that, for the life of me, I can't see if there is a diode.  For those of you who have purchased PS3 sleds, does the pictured lens assembly appear to have the diode intact?  I would think there is one; you can't actually expect a "rank and file" PS3 player who is replacing the lens assembly to do so without a diode in it.

I'm still waiting for a response from the seller (who has like a billion things for sale) so who knows if I'll get a reply anytime soon.

What think ye?

****EDIT FIXED LINK****

S

SenKat

That's a rip ! You can buy the entire sled assy for almost the same amount, WITH the diode ! I am unsure if it does not contain the diode or not, but when they state "lense only" it makes me wonder if they sold the diode seperately - or if it is just the carriage assy, with no sled....very odd way to list it though !

Daedal

Well... that's an interesting find. It seems to me like the LD is in there. Also it says that it is a replacement part for a ruined PS3. Effectively, it could be that you need the entire sled with the lens and drive assembly changed, or just the lens. So depending on your problem (if you were to be fixing a PS3) this would be a viable solution. The fact that there is an option to buy this alone for a much cheaper price is quite a treat actually.

The diode happens to be on the very far left side of this assembly. It has the little heat sink and the diode lining (the black rubber-looking material).

I do however agree with senkat. There are times when you can grab the whole sled for that cheap, but never have I seen one, and so this seems to me like it's an excellent alternative.

--DDL

S

SenKat

Before you order from that guy - take a peek at his feedback - 34 in the past month ? 657 total negative since he joined 5 years ago ? I wouldn't touch this clown with a ten foot pole - more power to anyone willing to risk it, and I DO hope the best....but DANG - those are horrible numbers !

Daedal

That's a good point there SenKat.. I hadn't looked at his feedback... :-[

Thank you for pointing that out;
DDL

Yeah, I saw the feedback as well; so I am a bit hesitant. However, he is still 98.2% positive. If I were to make the purchase, statistically I should expect to be part of the 98.2% Obviously it's the sheer volume of inventory that causes the negative feedback (i.e., no real personal attention to items sold.) I did call him, though, and he verified that it does, indeed, have the diode with it.

OTOH, there is another listing I'm watching (the full sled assembly) that (with shipping) is only $8.10 more than the listing in question (with shipping.) And this other seller has a 99.9% feedback. It may, very well, be worth $8.10 for the extra 1.7% increase in feedback.

I'll let you all know what I end up doing.