Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PS3 Diode?

I was wondering what is the milliwattage of a PS3 diode? I've never built a 405nm laser before and I wanted to know how much power a blu-ray burner can produce.

Also, I have several salvaged drivers from burnt out 532nm 50mW lasers. Can I use a 532nm driver on a 405nm diode? Thanks

The KES-400A (PS3 diode) is good for maybe 20mW. The drivers from green modules won't work for a blu-ray diode, sorry.

20mW? that's SHIT. Well I guess i'd be good to learn off of it. Of wait, cant use my drivers! :(

Can you buy 532nm diodes seperatly?

If you've got millions of dollars, sure, heh. Most green laser pointers just use an 808nm 5.6mm pump diode and a set of crystals. Those aren't that easy to find however, but 9mm high power (greater than 500mW) can be found on eBay, or form heruursciences here on lpf.

You can buy a pump diode, but green diodes don't really exist anywhere but a lab, so, no you can't buy a green diode.

Rob

*facepalm*

Kyle I thought I explained this to you already. Like prototype said you can't buy green diodes but you can buy full modules. Look at o-like or rayfoss. The module I'm using for my green build is coming from O-like.

oh, so where going by real names? Just wait until I expose YOUR real name. ROB!!! what a surprise...

*facepalm*

Kyle I thought I explained this to you already. Like prototype said you can't buy green diodes but you can buy full modules. Look at o-like or rayfoss. The module I'm using for my green build is coming from O-like.

Yeah but there way over priced. I can buy a complete 200mW green for $50. Why would I spend almost 3x that for just the module?

O-Like's modules are almost always in-spec, or over. I doubt that a 200mW green laser for $50 does more than peak at 200mW.

I doubt a 200mw 532nm for $50 will even make 50mw actual output. Prove me wrong, please.

The PS3 405nm diode won't make much mw because it's not a burner, it's only a reader.

I doubt a 200mw 532nm for $50 will even make 50mw actual output. Prove me wrong, please.

I've purchased several. Unfortunently I dont have the eqipment to prove it exactly. But i Did compare it to my 50mW, and it is at LEAST 3x brighter.... To be fair I think its 150mW~180mW just by judging by sight.

The PS3 405nm diode won't make much mw because it's not a burner, it's only a reader.

interesting........ makes since i guess. So how much mW would a 405nm burner be?

Rob

Smurf you're arguing against people who have tested these lasers with laser monitoring equipment, DX models have been tested and proven to be greatly underspec. It may seem a lot brighter but it doesn't mean that it's outputting at 180mW.

Given, it may peak at that for a few seconds or so but the average of these lasers it probably 80 to 100mW, and that's being generous.

Edit: As to your burner question it depends on the write speed. The power the diode puts out varies from 4x to 6x to 8x.

Smurf you're arguing against people who have tested these lasers with laser monitoring equipment, DX models have been tested and proven to be greatly underspec. It may seem a lot brighter but it doesn't mean that it's outputting at 180mW.

Given, it may peak at that for a few seconds or so but the average of these lasers it probably 80 to 100mW, and that's being generous.

Edit: As to your burner question it depends on the write speed. The power the diode puts out varies from 4x to 6x to 8x.

im going to put you on my ignore list, you follow my posts and treat me like an idiot

ERIK