Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ps3 blu-ray laser help

hi
im new to this whole laser DIY stuff (well this is my first time attempting a laser ) but i saw a while back a blu-ray laser pointer made wiht the laser form a ps3 slim .and ive always wanted to make one but i didnt have the part :cryyy: but then yesterdfay ym friends ps3 broke and he gace me the disk drive:D and i removed the laser rifht now al i have is the laser diode (which is shown in the picture bellow) i want the laser pointer to be handheld . so please can you tell me what i need how to make it and where to get the parts :thanks:

i look forward to many laser projects
ps the laser diode has 3 pins coming out of it not 5 seeing that it is form the slim model

thanks

Attachments

• Laser_Diode_for_PS3_KES_410ACA_3.jpg
    Laser_Diode_for_PS3_KES_410ACA_3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 1,684

Do a little searching around the forums. Everything you need to know has been asked and answered many times.

The PS3 has some all-in-one weird diode. Its called the KES-400 or something like that, which has 5 pins. It appears tho, that they have changed the diode for the slim version, so i dont know for sure what kind of diode is that. Since the ps3 is only a bluray reader, i can tell you the diode doesnt have that much power. Your best bet is to go with a PHR-803t, its been done a thousand times o-like has them at like $6.99 :)

To answer the OP's question, even though it is likely elsewhere, for the benefit of the people searching, and coming to this thread,

PS3 Slim diode pins are configured in this way:

O -Positive
[gap]O -Case pin: Not involved in circuit
O -Negative

I'm currently making one, and I estimate it puts out about 8.5 mA, as to what the diode converts into wattage from that, I can't tell you. I'm using a 9V battery, connected to a 47 Ohm (Look for: Yellow|Purple|Black|Gold|Brown) resistor and a 1,000 Ohm potentiometer (Look for B1K on the pot when you buy it), and through a push-for-on button switch. Oh, and some wiring. That will cost you about $10.

Then you need a lens to collimate the laser radiation, easiest place to get one is to purchase a cheap red laser pointer off eBay and break it open, and replace the diode with the Blu-ray diode. If you can get one with an adjustable lens, do so. Whack it all together, you don't need a driver for this setup, that's what the resistor and potentiometer are for.

For the case, you will need at least a 2x3x13 cm plastic case, and you will need to be able to open the case fully. Mine's in a 2.5x8x12.5 case, and I had to put padding around the battery to stop it moving.

To aid with the making of this project, bogartman on ebay has some 3-pin TO-18 sockets, which let you wire in a laser diode without soldering it in. Preventing heat damage to the diode, which is a real possibility. He also has modules with adjustable lenses to fit said TO-18 sockets :)

As a first-time project, I've found this quite enjoyable, and it will be a cool thing to bring out at parties. Or just point at things with.

Hope this can be of some assistance, in spite of the rambling :)

Last edited: