Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PS1 Controller Laser

First of all I'd like to say hello, and just say thank you for all of the knowledge on this forum. I didn't have to post any questions, as they were all answered for me already :bowdown:

Anyway,after about a year in the making (due to a move, and limited funds for the majority of that time) I have my first burning laser working.

It is a 660nm LOC, and the seller said it was rated at 240mW. I built a DDL driver to give it that current. My next one will have a heat sink, and I'll push it further. I didn't feel like building it into a flashlight, so I found a PS1 controller that hadn't been used in years. I was going to put a blinking red LED near the analog sticks for completeness, but I wouldn't be able to see it with my glasses anyway so I decided against it. Right now, it's just powered by a 12v wall adapter, but I have room for batteries on the left side. When I take it apart again, I'll post more pictures.:yh:

Last edited:

Kevlar

Nice build. There is a true DIY build (host + driver). Kuddos to you for getting your first build done without posting any questions!!!

Go figure, one can actually read on this forum and all the answers are already there!!! Who would of thunk it... :whistle:

You are an inspiration for all noobs alike!!! :beer:

Can't wait to see more pics!!

Last edited:
Thank you. Yeah, I didn't want to be one of the many people I always read about on forums, so I learned from their mistakes. It's been a good learning experience in general really. I started this project very inexperienced as far as electronics are concerned, and now I have some idea as to what I'm doing :p Anyhow, nothing to do so I opened it up. Pictures may be a little blurred since if I used flash it whited out lol.

I like it! You know what you should do? You should make it adjustable in power... via the up/down arrows! +1

Hmmmm I got rid of all the supports and pads for the buttons though :p R2 fires it, so maybe L1 and L2 could do that, since they are still fully functional.I'll probably wait until I have another diode to play with before I mess with it too much :p

Yeah, that would be really cool... except I have no idea how to adjust a pot/trimmer via button presses....

Yeah, that would be really cool... except I have no idea how to adjust a pot/trimmer via button presses....

lol me either. Maybe something digital could do it, but I'm not quite there yet lol.

Nor I... I will look it up though, because I may eventually want to add that to one of my own devices.

Kevlar

I don't know either. There are some vets that are pretty knowledgeable in electronics. Hopefully they will see this thread and shed some light.

Surely it's not THAT difficult, but I'm sure I'm wrong :p Haven't gotten into anything digital, so I can't say for sure lol