Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problems with my first blu-ray laser

Hi there,

my name is Jan, i'm new here. I got a problem with my first laser.

Parts i used:

-self extracted phr-803t from xbox-hd-sled
-rckstr-driver
-aixis-housing
-brand new 9V battery
-self-made dummyload

I set the driver to 100mA.... checked it twice... once messured over the resistor on the dummyload and second with the two testpoints on the driver.

Soldered it all together.... and the result is a bitter disappointment. It works, but its not as bright as expected.... It cant burn anything.... my cheap green ebay-laser is much brighter than this one. The color is nice, and i got a nice looking spot on the wall... but not very bright... The housing gets warm.

What have i done wrong?

Is it possible that i damaged something?

Inbetween i desoldered it all and soldered it again... same sh*t...

Please help me... :thanks: :thanks:

Greetz, Jan

Sounds like it has LED... are you confident in soldering? Was all the solder points strong and clean? Did you leave the soldering iron on the pins of the diode for more then 1-2 seconds? Did you discharge the caps before soldering on the LD? There are many reasons how this could of happened... we need a bit more info. BTW you will never get a laser to be as bright as a green laser, because your eyes pick up green much better then any other wavelength.

Hope that helped! -Adrian

thanks for your answer...

can you explain what "LED" is? (sorry, i'm german) i'm no soldering-pro... possible that i soldered more than 2 seconds on one point.... but before i soldered it, i tested the diode with cables and no soldering... and it wasn't brighter...

i didnt discharge the caps... didnt know that i have to do that... (how to do that?)

so it is possible that i damaged the diode and now it shines less bright? i thought if i damage it, then its complete dead...?

LED is when you fry your diode and it turns into a Light Emitting Diode instead of a laser diode.

but i think its more than that... at night i see a visible beam... but not very bright

405 nm laser light is not very bright. Green is the brightest so maybe that is why your greenie is brighter. Could you post some pics?

tried it... but no good result (only got an iphone)... looks very very bright on the picture...

lens is clean...

when i look at some youtube videos with the same laser... they look much much brighter than mine... :undecided:

I recently started having fun with my first higher powered laser (a PHR module that I got from mohrenberg) It took a while for me to get used to burning with it. I first didn't think it had that much power, until I realized how important the exact focal point is. just a little off and the burning power isn't very good. mine is preset to 120mA, so a little higher setting then yours, I have noticed anything that fluoresces in the beam seems to be much harder to burn, so what you are trying to burn could easily be a problem. Anything the beam seems less bright when shining on, is much easier to burn. Anything the beam is more bright on, is harder to burn. Black plastic seems to burn most easily, however it burns skin easily if you focus it on your finger. Make certain you have the object right in the smallest point of light possible. Try burning dark colored objects, and perhaps up the power to 120mA. I was burning using a 9volt battery at first as well.

I noticed the beam is really not that bright, but this isn't because it's less bright, it's that your eyes can't see 405nm light very well, and everyone's eyes are a little different.

However video cameras respond better to the light then your eyes, so it looks brighter on camera then in person. At least that is what I have noticed.

StridAst

D

Deleted member 8382

there's nothing wrong with your laser. If it can burn it's OK.

human eye see green better than bluray. not even a 400mW bluray will be brighter than your green pen. Here's a human eye sensitivity chart for you to understand what I mean.

human%20eye%20sensitivity%20en.jpg

Yours,
Albert

D

Deleted member 8382

I recently started having fun with my first higher powered laser (a PHR module that I got from mohrenberg) It took a while for me to get used to burning with it. I first didn't think it had that much power, until I realized how important the exact focal point is. just a little off and the burning power isn't very good. mine is preset to 120mA, so a little higher setting then yours, I have noticed anything that fluoresces in the beam seems to be much harder to burn, so what you are trying to burn could easily be a problem. Anything the beam seems less bright when shining on, is much easier to burn. Anything the beam is more bright on, is harder to burn. Black plastic seems to burn most easily, however it burns skin easily if you focus it on your finger. Make certain you have the object right in the smallest point of light possible. Try burning dark colored objects, and perhaps up the power to 120mA. I was burning using a 9volt battery at first as well.

I noticed the beam is really not that bright, but this isn't because it's less bright, it's that your eyes can't see 405nm light very well, and everyone's eyes are a little different.

However video cameras respond better to the light then your eyes, so it looks brighter on camera then in person. At least that is what I have noticed.

StridAst
I think cameras are internally made to "see" according to the chart I posted above. The problem is that most of them "see" bluray as "dark violet/blue" and so they show it brighter that it really is (according to the chart).

jayrob

It could be that the 9 volt battery is not enough to give the diode/driver what it demands. But will still give enough to to see the beam in the dark.

You should try 3 X CR123's, or 6 X AA batteries and see if it will burn.

Also, focus is not easy to see unless you have good eye protection. It must be a pin point for burning. At close distance (like 3'), you should easily see black material smoke when it is focused for burning...