Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problems with C6 JAD kit + dtr diode

Hi, I was building a laser using moh's Aurora C6 Just Add Diode kit, and using dtr's 445 M140 with 3 element glass.

First off, I'm probably an idiot. Please forgive me. But I've come across a problem.
The module seems too long to fit between the host and the host's front.

See, this is what it looks like:
http://i.imgur.com/jSDuQ.jpg
I can't screw the head of the host back in, because the module is in the way.

It's probably because I'm doing something stupidly wrong. Like should the front be flush, like this:
http://i.imgur.com/YhdQ6.jpg

And what is this for:
http://i.imgur.com/3MjSP.jpg

I probably should be using that.

So if anyone can explain the error in my ways, I would be eternally grateful.
PS: also, can someone assure me that I soldered the right wires together?

Last edited:

Blord

RESIZE the pictures please !!!

You should remove the back piece of the Aixiz module. Only the part with the diode is used for the build.
Then the module should be flush to the heatsink, not the lens.
The round thing in the pink bag is the focus adapter. You could remove the standard focus ring of the lens and replace it with this adapter.

Last you should be using shrink tubes around the bare wires to prevent short-circuiting.

1) Get heat shrink tubing
2) Desolder your wire connections
3) Unscrew the back of the aixiz module
4) Cut piece of heat shrink tubing to fit the unprotected connection
5) Insert heat shrink tubing into positive and negative wire
6) Resolder connections
7) Move the heatshrink tubing over the unprotected connections and heat it up using a lighter or your iron so it shrinks over the unprotected connections
8) Profit
9) ???

Thanks so much! I'm gonna see if I can get it to work now. One more thing- I don't have shrink tubing. Will electrical tape be sufficient?

Thanks so much! I'm gonna see if I can get it to work now. One more thing- I don't have shrink tubing. Will electrical tape be sufficient?

Electrical tape will be fine, but they are not as secured as you'll find out, they can unravel and you don't want to risk your entire build for few cents of heat shrink tubing.

Electrical tape will be fine, but they are not as secured as you'll find out, they can unravel and you don't want to risk your entire build for few cents of heat shrink tubing.

Okay thank you so much! I'll get shrink tubing later this week. For now, I just want to make sure it works at all.

Well... It's not working...

Did I solder the wrong wires together?

You my friend are over complicating the wiring beyond all belief. :D Remove the back end of the module and simply wire the Positive output wire of the driver to the positive pin of the diode. The negative out put of the driver goes to the negative pin of the diode. Case pin is left alone. Driver gets its negative input through the host and positive from the battery top I'm working on a similar build right now (waiting for an Xdrive) so ask as much as needed. You may have ruined your diode by constant soldering and resoldering.

Mike

2b7769f3.jpg

4f32f751.jpg

Ideally your solder joint should look similar to this prior to the heat shrink being applied. Obviously put the heat shrink on before you solder the joint. The above is just a demonstration of a decent joint.

c1484281.jpg

b5d8738a.jpg

L to R: 1) Tail cap clicky, 2) host body, 3) pill with driver installed, 4) module with diode pressed, 5) allen wrench, 6) heat sink, 7) heat sink holder, 8) heat sink retaining ring, 9) lens and focus adapter.

Batteries go in positive facing the FRONT of the laser.

Make sure to hold the heat sink down with your finger and do not let it spin while you install the heat sink retaining ring or you will twist your wires completely apart.

Glasses.gif

Glenn

Last edited:
It's working! It's so amazing! What a beautiful color!

One problem though, the module/lens sticks out the end, and is not secured at all. It jiggles around and everything. Secondly, how do I use the focusing module?

It's working! It's so amazing! What a beautiful color!

One problem though, the module/lens sticks out the end, and is not secured at all. It jiggles around and everything. Secondly, how do I use the focusing module?

What was wrong? A bad connection from soldering, or did you connect a + end with a - end?

The module/lens sticks out because you have probably not made it flush with the heatsink before tightening everything. Use your allen wrench to tighten the module and heatsink in place BEFORE you attach your lens. Attach the focusing ring to the lens, and then attach it to the module. If the focusing ring is too "jiggly" Try using a small spring or teflon tape on the thread of the lens.

:)

What was wrong? A bad connection from soldering, or did you connect a + end with a - end?

The module/lens sticks out because you have probably not made it flush with the heatsink before tightening everything. Use your allen wrench to tighten the module and heatsink in place BEFORE you attach your lens. Attach the focusing ring to the lens, and then attach it to the module. If the focusing ring is too "jiggly" Try using a small spring or teflon tape on the thread of the lens.

:)

I have no idea what was wrong. I re-soldered, and used different batteries. Probably a weak connection.

What I mean is that the module in no way is having friction with the heat sink. I can easily push it all the way through, until the lens, which fits very nicely in the heat sink. As in the module feels a mm or two too small for the heatsink. Would some thermal paste fix this?

I have no idea what was wrong. I re-soldered, and used different batteries. Probably a weak connection.

What I mean is that the module in no way is having friction with the heat sink. I can easily push it all the way through, until the lens, which fits very nicely in the heat sink. As in the module feels a mm or two too small for the heatsink. Would some thermal paste fix this?

It should not be moving in and out of the heatsink like that..
Did your kit include an allen wrench? The heatsink should have a small hole with a screw in it. All you have to do is use an allen wrench to tighten it.

P.S. I would also use thermal paste for better heat transfer;)

Hmm. I can't find any screw in the heatsink, but I do have allen wrench. Is it on the side of the heatsink? Do I have to push the heatsink out?

I'm thoroughly embarrassed and surprised at how hard I am finding this. Though I am overjoyed at the mere fact that it works.