Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problems of the forums. More mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey LPF.

Lately(as most of you know) there's been a lot of heat between members and "gangwarfare" over silly things which aren't of great importance.

One solution I propose is the addition of more moderators on the forum. Whilst the one we have do do a pretty good job, I think we all as a community should address this problem and find a solution for it.

I'm at work right now, and am on a quick break, but let's start finding solutions instead of constant war going on.

I'm am really sick of this to be honest, and miss the old forum :(

-Alex

ARG

More mods would just improve response time to problems. The problems themselves would still persist.

Don't worry be HAPpy, things eventually will settle down. i will send you a link to a video i recorded while watching the penguin parade.( i bet those little guy will cheer you up).

Hey LPF.

Lately(as most of you know) there's been a lot of heat between members and "gangwarfare" over silly things which aren't of great importance.

One solution I propose is the addition of more moderators on the forum. Whilst the one we have do do a pretty good job, I think we all as a community should address this problem and find a solution for it.

I'm at work right now, and am on a quick break, but let's start finding solutions instead of constant war going on.

I'm am really sick of this to be honest, and miss the old forum :(

-Alex

Considering what this is, a Forum for people to share interest in what is essentially a scientific based hobby people should simply be respectful, period. Criticism is fine. Debate is fine. Everyone should remain civil at all times. Behave like we are the family dinner table:gh:

OVNI

Considering what this is, a Forum for people to share interest in what is essentially a scientific based hobby people should simply be respectful, period. Criticism is fine. Debate is fine. Everyone should remain civil at all times. Behave like we are the family dinner table:gh:

Ummmm, my family dinner memories include when my mom broke a chair trying to smash it on my dad's head. I later learned those experiences helped form what became my definition of 'normal' that I eventually needed to undo.

@FU

Sweet! Hap :D

Ok, hopefully these problems don't keep coming back!

-Alex

Last edited:
IMO we don't need more mods. I've gone through a lot of old posts here, and it seems like this kind of thing happens from time to time. It usually ends with a member leaving or getting banned, but it will die down on its own.

The problem is that the vets have the power to act like mods through the rep system. You can prevent someone from buying stuff through the BST section if you damage their reputation enough. If c0ld removed the ability to neg someone we wouldn't have as many petty flame wars. We all have different opinions on what warrants a neg, and what it entails. Some would say that it's just a slap on the hand, so they give them out when someone makes a mistake. Others would say that it would require posting a video of you lasing an aircraft.

I personally don't care too much about my rep, but I know others do. Maybe just remove the whole thing?

Just my 2¢.

Last edited:
We need a new set of mods. We don't even know if Phoenix77 is even alive and some of the mods haven't even spoken in a long period of time. We basically have 3 active mods. Ped, Ears and Arg and they don't always see eye to eye.

We need a new set of mods. We don't even know if Phoenix77 is even alive and some of the mods haven't even spoken in a long period of time. We basically have 3 active mods. Ped, Ears and Arg and they don't always see eye to eye.

Eh, maybe. IMO they do a pretty good job.

We could use 2 or 3 janitors though. They could clean up spam and useless threads so the mods could focus on more important stuff.

Last edited:

ARG

We basically have 3 active mods. Ped, Ears and Arg and they don't always see eye to eye.

Not seeing eye to eye isn't necessarily a bad thing. There would be no accountability among mods if we agreed on everything.

Ummmm, my family dinner memories include when my mom broke a chair trying to smash it on my dad's head. I later learned those experiences helped form what became my definition of 'normal' that I eventually needed to undo.

Unfortunately I have similar memories, perhaps this is how I learned to voice my opinion and say what I really think, but sometimes it's best to keep quiet and not say anything, saying what I think has caused me some problems before but listening to others do the same is sometimes hard to put up with without responding.

Just look at where we are from, see post 2 on this page for the list I have been making, we have currently active members from each place on that list.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/countries-lpf-where-you-94536.html
The cultural differences, the politics, economic systems, religion, what foods we eat, the music we listen to, level of education and more is not the same. We will get along the way countries get along, or hopefully a little better. Even at the United Nations they sometimes walk out on each other when the wrong person is speaking, or when they don't like what is being said, and they are supposed to be diplomats.

Alan

The underlying problems aren't going to go away with more moderators, nor are they unique to lpf.

Different people will express themselves differently. Just because someone doesn't sugar coat a disagreeing response doesn't mean they are trying to cause insult.

This current drama seems to be over rep, but it really baseless. Rep is gained at twice the rate it's lost, this by itself balances things out a lot.

It also seems that the drama is coming from members who are themselves very vocal, and not at all respectful, or polite themselves. Nor are these member newbies.

How about we just try to be friendlier to new members, grit our teeth and be polite to each other even when we don't agree? Got a neg rep, instead of lashing out, how about doing something positive for a plus rep instead?

:beer:

Encap

The underlying problems aren't going to go away with more moderators, nor are they unique to lpf.

Different people will express themselves differently. Just because someone doesn't sugar coat a disagreeing response doesn't mean they are trying to cause insult.

This current drama seems to be over rep, but it really baseless. Rep is gained at twice the rate it's lost, this by itself balances things out a lot.

It also seems that the drama is coming from members who are themselves very vocal, and not at all respectful, or polite themselves. Nor are these member newbies.

How about we just try to be friendlier to new members, grit our teeth and be polite to each other even when we don't agree? Got a neg rep, instead of lashing out, how about doing something positive for a plus rep instead?

:beer:

100% agree InfinitusEquitas.

LPF does not need new or more moderators. The moderators we have do an excellent job considering it is a volunteer position requiring a significant amout of time, dedication, knowledge, clear thinking, and level of balanced maturity. Not easy to find such people. LPF is lucky to have the moderators it has.

Last edited:
No we need new mods that are going to be fair or at least work together. Mods that don't hold biased natures.

Not all Vets are off throwing their weight around. Keep that in mind. The large majority of us are merely benevolent elders overseeing the scurrying of those below. (please read that with light humor)

I think our currently active mods are doing a damned fine job. I remember a few periods where almost none were active and let me tell you, the difference between then and now speaks volumes. They do make a huge difference.

Agreed with Arg about having differing opinions. It ensures a balanced approach.

Being a mod isn't an easy or fun job. Too strong of a touch sets off totalitarian alarms and upsets the populace, too light of a touch and they accuse you of doing nothing at all or worse actively encouraging the riots.

@Andrew I agree, I think the issue stems mostly from people forgetting this, or simply never approaching the forum with this attitude in the first place. We do have to keep in mind that this is often the -first and only- technical/educational/scientific forum most members here engage in. It's a different world entirely than the vast majority of internet forums. No where is it explicitly and unavoidably stated the kind of atmosphere and etiquette we try to foster. Those of us who frequent even more niche scientific communities know what is expected and what we want as second nature, but outsiders have no clue. Still, even at our most "toxic" (term used VERY loosely), LPF far from the dredges that litter the horizon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.