Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problems focusing a GGW diode trough plastic lens

• Thread starter Deleted member 8382
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8382

After receiving my new GGW module from Daguin (thanks a lot again :D), I powered it up and to my surprise, the stock aixiz plastic lens don't seem to work well.

The ggw emits the light VERY "opened", to the point where even when the lens are all the way inside the module it's still not focused to the infinity. I've had to take out the focusing "ring" from the screw in order to screw it deeper. This way it seems to work, bur focusing it now is a pain on the ass xD

I've considered to buy the O-like lens for 405nm, will they work better?

How much further do you have to screw the lens in?

You could try backing out the lens a few turns, from the aixiz thumb nut. Just set it in place with some thread lock.

You can also use a small washer, 1 or 2. Placed between the front of the lens and the thumb nut. This will push the lens closer to the diode, yet keep it tight against the thumb nut.

I had this problem several times with some phr and loc diodes. It seems to be a random issue with aixiz modules. I used some superglue to bring the black lens holder in place by not screwing it all the way into the focusing ring. This way you don't have to move the lens or cut anything.

Give it a try.

-Stephan

D

Deleted member 8382

@rpaloalto: I did not understand your solution :S

backing out the lens
the aixiz thumb nut
keep it tight

I don't understand any of this sentences, sorry :(

@Kingdingeling: I already thought of this, but I'm afraid the superglue will also touch part of the screw, and won't let it screw completly inside the module...

has anyone tried the O-like lens for 405nm? Do they work better than the aixiz plastic lens? Since this lens is already a bit damaged, I've thought of replacing it with the aixiz glass lens or the O-like ones. Thoughts on this?

Thanksin advance

Yours,
Albert

Sorry. Can't contribute any usefull comments to the o-like lens but:

I could prepare a lens for you and send it to for just the shipping costs. That would be the work around way to do it :)

If you have any spare aixiz modules simply try a different lens, this way i sorted my focusing most of the times i had the problem.

-Stephan

D

Deleted member 8382

I don't have more modules, that's the problem. I know buying them is very cheap, but if I'm gonna buy a new one, I'll have to consider some better lens than the standard plastic ones considering it's a GGW diode xD

''Backing out the lens''
Just unscrew the lens from the aixiz thumb nut, or focus ring, the thing that holds the lens. Unscrew it, so the lens is sitting on just the first thread. Then use a drop of thread lock, to hold it in place.

''keep it tight''
Using a small washer placed in between, the lens and the the lens holder will push the lens back a few threads. Yet will still be screwed in tight.

If you decide to use super glue, be careful.
The fumes from the drying glue can, damage the actual lens.
This happend to one of my acrylic lenses. The fumes left a thin coating on the acrylic, like a haze.
I would try some thread lock or lock tight.

Hey, this has been the case for nearly all of my PHR and violet lasers of the like. If you are using the standard aixiz acrylic you will need to take of the focus ring. Then use super glue or some kind of adhesive to affix the focus ring to the tip of the lens. Make sure you get it on the first thread so that it is lined up straight. also make sure not to get and adhesive on your lens.

D

Deleted member 8382

I'm feeling more stupid the more posts of yours I read :yabbem:

Could you define me this words? I've tried a dictionary without success.

"thumb" "nut" "thread" "drop" "washer" "tight"

@Yobresal: If I can avoid superglue... xD

Or, you can press the diode further into the module, which will bring the diode closer to the lens. (Blu rays have a shorter focal length required). Mohrenburg has a couple good youtube videos showing how its done. If you don't want to do that, you can always buy the famous 405-G1 from Jayrob. The 405-G1 is mounted in the lens nut, closer to the diode, allowing you to focus to infinity.

Oh, and if you decide to just press it further, be sure to cut open the back of the acrylic lens, as it lets more light through the lens.

Hope this helps!

D

Deleted member 8382

the lens are already back opened, thanks. I think the diode is already the max pressed it can be..

daguin

For whatever reason, the diode is not set as deeply as your last diode. Use one of the techniques described above to hold your focus ring farther toward the end of the lens nut.

If you want more output, you could also get one of Jayrob's 405-G-1 lens assemblies. That lens sits deeper in the lens nut.

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

If you still want to keep the acrylic one, you can use the reverse trick.

First, open the back part, then punch out the lens and the plastic ring that retain it in place, reverse the lens and put it back in the threaded holder, put back also the plastic ring and re-glue it.

This let you gain usually at least 2 mm of lenght.

But, yes, with a GGW, i think that or the 405-G-1, or also the aixiz glass one, are better than the acrylic ones, imho.

I'm feeling more stupid the more posts of yours I read :yabbem:

Could you define me this words? I've tried a dictionary without success.

"thumb" "nut" "thread" "drop" "washer" "tight"

@Yobresal: If I can avoid superglue... xD
"Thumb" en su mano es numero uno.
"nut" la parte que el tornillo entra
"drop" la más pequeña parte de líquido...
"washer" la parte que tiene la tuerca y el tornillo en el lugar
"tight" como una vagina de chicas de instituto

D

Deleted member 8382

MMmm.. thanks for the info. As for my last question, has anyone tested the O-like lens?

@yobresal: wtf are those definitions? xD

Yours,
Albert

HIMNL9

@ Hallucynogenic: with the last GGW that i have around (flexdrive at 200mA) i got 218mW with the plastic lens, and 265mW with the 405nm aixiz one (the ones with half holder threaded and the o-ring) - same distance from the meter head (40cm), same focusing (10mm dia) and same time (20 seconds, the power was readed at the end of the 20 seconds) ..... fresh charged lithium battery.

But i have only one GGW at home, actually, so i cannot made a medium reading for different ones.

Is this that what you need ?

@ Yobresal, LOL, especially for the last one :eg: :p