Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problem with green laser

I've a problem with my green laser pen - the laser dims rapidly after I turned it on.
Here's some info:
-The laser works perfectly for only few minutes before the symptom occur
-I've tried new and high quality NiMH but it dosn't help - the life is still short
-There's no sign of dim red light or IR as told in the other threads
-I use the 3V adapter and plug the laser to the house plug, the laser works perfectly

Right now I suspect that there's a problem with the driver because it cannot handle the voltage properly.

Should I fix the laser? How? or should I just get a new one?

Sometimes you just need to clean the connection points. Spring, and threads. Use a pencil eraser.

NiMHs are usually terrible batteries to power lasers with.

Try using regular Alkalines.

If your laser is one of those generic NewWish style pens, then it's perfectly normal for power to drop with the battery level. Now, problems could also be with batteries.

NiMHs are very picky. You must NOT put them to recharge after they are totally empty (within specifications empty, that is), and you must always recharge them in one time, without interuptions. I hate them because if it. It's really a pain to bother with them.

Try some fresh new primary Alkalines and tell us how it went :)

alf638

Maybe the batteries don't have a fast enough discharge rate, happened to me once.

Sometimes you just need to clean the connection points. Spring, and threads. Use a pencil eraser.

I've clean it and try doing the circuit outside the pen's body, doesn't help :undecided:

NiMHs are usually terrible batteries to power lasers with.

Try using regular Alkalines.

If your laser is one of those generic NewWish style pens, then it's perfectly normal for power to drop with the battery level. Now, problems could also be with batteries.

NiMHs are very picky. You must NOT put them to recharge after they are totally empty (within specifications empty, that is), and you must always recharge them in one time, without interuptions. I hate them because if it. It's really a pain to bother with them.

Try some fresh new primary Alkalines and tell us how it went

Actually Akaline is the first battery I tried. The laser started to dim when its voltage is 1.52 - about a minute or so after constant emission

Here's the picture. Note that the laser dims instantly.

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4998/img2151h.jpg
http://img816.imageshack.us/img816/2535/img2152w.jpg

I had a laser that only worked on super fresh batteries too. It was sufficiently cheap that I did not mind frying it, so I bought some Li-Ion cells and, instead of using 2xAAA, I used 1x10440 and a spacer made out of a couple of nails and a section of a PC power cord.

I tried eneloops and they worked alright, but alkalines were brighter. Just didn't last as long. And 10440 was brightest, but acts strange when the cell is at different states of charge.