Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problem with driver board

Hi,
I recently disassembled a green pen laser that I bought in dealextreme 2 years ago, but to do so I had to remove the button from the driver board. after I did so I realized that the copper squares (like those where you solder laser diode to) that were where the button was connected removed with the button. I tried to solder another button but it didn't work. How can I make it to work? (I pretty sure the button pins don't get to where the copper is)
Thanks,
Yuval

You will need to provide a picture. There are a coulle different styles of buttons on those pen lasers.

norbyx

Well I think that what speedy ment was a picture of the actual damage on the board.

Well first you will have to see if you can expose some of the copper of the circuit. If you removed the solder pads then all you have left is the small circuit "wires" that yoy may be able to get some solder on. Simple fix is to buy a new one. They are cheap on ebay.

2yyayop.jpg

where the black spots there is no copper (you see there some solder because it burned a little bit when I disoldered the button today) and I need somehow to make this spots conductors again. How can I do so?

You can try to scratch off thw non conductive coating over the circuit that was printed doen on the board and maybe be ablw to solder to that.

I have another button with 2 pins that I think would work because it's smaller. How can I connect it?
I have to solder it in crossway to the to conductive lines you see in the picture?

The circuit you need to connect is north south I believe on that driver.

I succeded soldering a 4-pins button in a position on the side of the driver so that only 2 pins touch the conductive lines. But it's still not good - I must find a way to put the button in the middle so that it fit to the host.
Can you think of a way to do so?

Here is a photo:
dxxs3l.jpg

You can see that the button is on the side of the board and only 2 pins (the right ones) are soldered to the board.

I guess you would have to try to cwnter it so it will fit back in thw pen.

Yes but the conductive squares that were in the side of the board which were intended for the button pins are gone so if I move the button more to the side it's pins won't be in contact with the conductive copper lines so the laser won't work. I want to put conductive material where the conductive squares used to be and then I can solder the button in the middle of the driver and it'll work. What material can I put there?
(You don't see in this picture the missing squares' place but you can see it in the previous image I posted)

Last edited:
You could try soldering small wires from the contacts to the button pins. I dont think there is a way to rebuild the solder pads.

norbyx

I think that the only solution you have is to actually bridge that switch. You need to follow the circuit lines and just make some small wire briges to hook it up. You won't be able to rebuild a trace with such a damage. It's quite a simple task really.