Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problem with Bluray Pointer

Hi folks.

Slight problem over here. I built a bluray pointer containing a phr paired with a rckstr driver set to 100mA ish.

There's the hook, i set the driver to 100mA powering it at 5V. Now that the batteries are in and giving ~7.4V to it this might be the reason why my diode stopped lasing. Right ?!?

I don't have a 7.5V power source other than the batteries to set the driver. Any chance i wiill be able to work around this.

Morgan

Hi Kingdingeling,

To run a PHR, (or any BR LD), from a RCKSTR you really need that ~7.5V to set it properly. The LD needs circa 5V and the driver needs circa 2V. Any less than that and it will fail to regulate properly. I suspect you may have killed your PHR when giving it the required voltage.

How did you set your current? With a Dummy Test Load? How many diodes?

Did you see any light from the diode? Quick flash or just nadda?

Other may be able to help you out further but I think more info is required for better diagnosis.

M
:)

As stated, too low of voltage input changed the current output of the driver.(and or Vf, if it fell out of regulation)
You could have hit the LD with 150mA or more.
Always set your driver's current at the voltage you intend to run it with.(especially with a linear driver such as the Rckstr,DDL or CCD, on the Flexdrive which is a boost driver it is not as critical, though still a good idea, as long as the input voltage is between 2.5V and 5.5V