Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Prison For Laser Stupidity

Sounds good to me... :topic:
He should be put into a mirrored room with 5 lit Lasers for the duration..

LOS ANGELES — A Southern California man who aimed a laser beam at two airliners as they approached an airport has been sentenced to 2 1/2 years in federal prison for disrupting the flights.

The U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles says Dana Christian Welch of Orange, who was sentenced Monday, was the first person in the U.S. to be convicted at trial of interfering with pilots by aiming lasers at their planes.

Authorities say the 37-year-old aimed a handheld laser at two Boeing jets as the passenger planes were about to land at John Wayne Airport on the night of May 21, 2008.

The laser beam struck one pilot in the eye, causing "flash blindness," and interfered with pilots' ability to land the other plane.

Jerry

Last edited:

mkdive

I fly out of that airport twice a week. I remember when that happened. It was all over the local news channels at the time. What a moron!!

Poor guy.. I think 2.5 is just too much just for pointing. And remember that he didn't point at an aircraft. I just think several months is enough time to teach him a lesson. But years? come on! What do you think?
Of course I don't say he did well by pointing at the air lines.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

Airliners are aircrafts which carry passengers, he WAS pointing at them while they were landing!

Poor guy.. I think 2.5 is just too much just for pointing. And remember that he didn't point at an aircraft. I just think several months is enough time to teach him a lesson. But years? come on! What do you think?
O course I don't say he did well by pointing at the air lines.

The Pilot that got hit in the eye.... Was in the Aircraft (airplane) that
was coming in for a Landing... (the cyan post above)

With all the media coverage of all the Laser/Aircraft incidents.. the
Moron should have gotten 5 years...IMO

[EDIT]
looks like Albert and I responded at the same time...

Jerry

Airliners are aircrafts which carry passengers, he WAS pointing at them while they were landing!

Wait, I thought he pointed at the road where aircrafts land. My mistake! YEAH HE DESERVED MOER YEARS!!!!!

The Pilot that got hit in the eye.... Was in the Aircraft (airplane) that
was coming in for a Landing... (the cyan post above)

With all the media coverage of all the Laser/Aircraft incidents.. the
Moron should have gotten 5 years...IMO

[EDIT]
looks like Albert and I responded at the same time...

Jerry

yeah sorry I thought airline meant road where planes land and take off :p

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

I'm Albert from Tarragona (Spain) Could you post this guy picture? I wanna laugh xD

@Silvershot: haha who would send him to prison for that lol

Yeah why not... its still similar to shinning a Laser into a moving
car on the Highway..

Jerry

Last edited:

mkdive

If I remember right the pilot actually had to take a short medical leave, and had to go to a doctor because he had some eye problems.
scared.gif

EriiKz

Gah, another moron. :( At least they found him. I would almost support moderate preventative restrictions on all lasers in order to prevent a disaster and the almost inevitable total prohibition that would would follow. Maybe if you needed to get a gov't license to buy anything over 5mW. Would be a simple online course and test to obtain, but would prevent a total idiot from getting one. Kinda like the SmartServe course in Ontario to be able to serve alcohol. Fact that the companies are so international would make this difficult though. It's either that or we just wait for the inevitable disaster, I am can a sure it won't be long at this rate. (probably not even involving aircraft)

Unfortunately, we'll probably all be dead long before what you're saying happens :yabbem:.

D

Deleted member 8382

I think the solution is to make them totally legal. Really. This way more idiots would get more lasers, maybe aircrafts should get some caution at first but in just two or three months there would be that many people jailed for pointing at aircrafts that people would understand it's really dangerous.

There are MANY other dangerous things that are not banned and that cause more accidents that lasers (knifes, guns, stones...). The key is to restrict the bad usage of an item, not the item itself!

Yours,
Albert

EriiKz

I think the solution is to make them totally legal. Really. This way more idiots would get more lasers, maybe aircrafts should get some caution at first but in just two or three months there would be that many people jailed for pointing at aircrafts that people would understand it's really dangerous.

There are MANY other dangerous things that are not banned and that cause more accidents that lasers (knifes, guns, stones...). The key is to restrict the bad usage of an item, not the item itself!

Yours,
Albert

Bolded part- yes.
Rest- no. It's like killing someone to teach another one that killing is bad:cryyy:.