Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

PRICEANGELS - 50mW 532nm Pen

Dave91

TRUE 50mW Green Laser Pointer Pen $10.97 Free Shipping

This is a review of the 50mw 532nm laser pen John from PA has been advertising alot lately.

First of all let me say that the shipping was just amazingly fast. I live in Portugal and it only took 3 days to arrive from Hong Kong through regular air mail! The product was shipped on the 13th and it arrived on the 16th at lunch time.

The packaging was pretty standard for an international long distance delivery. The package was in a paper bag which was a bit torn (postmen's fault obviously, not PriceAngels), and it was very well sealed. On the inside it was padded with bubble paper.
It's pretty well packaged overall.

Pics :

img8309e.jpg

img8310e.jpg

img8311e.jpg

Now to talk about the laser's own package.
It came in a small black cardboard box that shuts with a small magnet, which was inside a white cardboard slide-open box.
The box isn't amazing but it's okay and it does its job well which is hold the laser inside.
The laser in the box was inside a small bubble paper bag for extra safety, again showing how careful PriceAngels are with the packaging of their products.
The contents of the box were the laser itself and 2 AAA 1.5v alkaline non-rechargeable batteries. Each of them were well positioned in their respective slot in the box.

img8312e.jpg

img8316e.jpg

img8318e.jpg

Laser's Build

Comes with a <50mW sticker on it.
The host is small and very pen-like so it fits easily into any pocket. It's black and grey and has a pen clip which you can use to carry it around clipped on your clothes.
It looks really well built, it's not too light so it feels pretty solid, and it fits perfectly in your hand.
The batteries fit almost perfectly inside. If you shake the laser a bit you can feel slight movement of the batteries inside. This is barely noticeable and it doesn't bother me at all I just thought I should mention it for the review since I'm being thorough.
It has a small and round momentary switch to turn the laser on and it works perfectly. The only "con" about it is that it's very very slightly loose (again barely noticeable and doesn't bother me one bit).
This laser is not focuseable, which is fine for a 50mW laser.
Also, the beam is coming out of the host perfectly centered. It's not the least crooked from what I can tell and that is great.

img8322e.jpg

Laser's Performance

I do not own a LPM, therefore I won't be able to tell you the exact power my laser outputs but I can tell you that it sure looks like it's atleast up to spec (50mW).
The dot is really bright(eyes hurt after a while of looking at it) and can be seen in day light from a pretty good distance.
The beam is slim, which is normal for 50mW but it can be perfectly well seen in low light conditions like pointing it to the night sky or in your home with lights off.
It can also be slightly seen in well lit rooms as I tested earlier here in my bedroom.
I haven't tried burning anything for too long with it but if I hold it close to my finger for some seconds my finger gets warm.
This isn't a burning laser anyway since it is only 50mW and non-focuseable.
Even without a LPM I noticed that when it's cold and you power it on it doesn't go to its full output right away. It takes around 10-20 seconds powered on to reach its maximum output. Probably because it's cold nowadays in Portugal and the diode needs to warm up a bit.
I haven't tested the duty cycle thoroughly but after 90 seconds the host was slightly warm so just do 60 or 90 on (since it's colder nowadays it's safe to go a bit further than 60) and more or less 30 off.
I haven't measured the dot's diameter but it looks pretty small.
It has a decent divergence and it's a really clean dot, so there's no dust inside the lens.
All of this is alot more than I expected from a laser that costed me only 11$. :san:

Beam Shots

It's the first time I took some beam shots so I apologize for my bad beam shooting skills. :whistle:

img8325e.jpg

img8327e.jpg

Pros :

-Well packaged and quickly delivered (atleast in my case)
-Up to spec (I consider this a pro because of how much it costed)
-Clean round dot (no dust inside the lens whatsoever)
-Decent divergence
-Perfectly visible beam in low light condition and slightly visible beam in well lit rooms and daylight.
-Well built
-Very compact making it easy to carry anywhere
-Super Cheap

Cons :

-Slight wobble of the batteries inside the host and slightly loose momentary switch (not really a con since it's very very slight).
-not IR filtered.
-non-focuseable (not that much of a con in this case since it's only a 50mW anyway, therefore it wouldn't burn much even if it was focuseable).

Rating : This laser is very cheap, but it still manages to satisfy, by providing a steady up to spec output and a solid host/build.
I give it a 4/5. It misses the last point because of the slightly loose switch, slightly wobbly batteries and not being IR filtered.
Overall this is not a perfect laser, but for 11$ I have never seen a better deal and for sure it can't get any better than this for what you pay.

I didn't have any expectations before this package arrived since I had never bought from PriceAngels before but I gotta say that I am really satisfied with my purchase.
I was amazed by how fast it was delivered, by how well it was packaged/secure, by how the laser was up to spec and was alot better than I thought in general.

PriceAngels's customer service is great and with this said I recommend PA to anyone shopping for lasers or any other product you might be interested in (I bought some other stuff along with the laser and all came with the same kind of service and in perfect working condition, great).
This was my first buy from PA and it surely will not be my last.

Congratulations John from PA, you are now reliable to me and to many more people after reading this review I hope. :)

Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

David

i think i will buy a few for power testing....if they are up to spec. 11.00 is great!!!i will run them threw IR filter also...nice review david...

DJNY

i think i will buy a few for power testing....if they are up to spec. 11.00 is great!!!i will run them threw IR filter also...nice review david...

AFAIK they are sold out for now. Don´t kow if John gets the same powerful 50mW pens from his supplier again.

Dave91

AFAIK they are sold out for now. Don´t kow if John gets the same powerful 50mW pens from his supplier again.

Yeah I'm also hoping John brings more of these. Would be a great gift to some of my friends.

Looks like some good output for 11 bucks! I'll probably pick one up when they're back in stock, thanks for the post.

DJNY, but you have told me your are only 5mw, really? we have tested every one before shipping, can you give me some proofs?

reliable john

DJNY

DJNY, but you have told me your are only 5mw, really? we have tested every one before shipping, can you give me some proofs?

reliable john

My girl has my repaired cam right now and she isn´t at home, but I´ll proof it with some LPM readings. What are the testing conditions your workers tested the lasers? Especially the air temperatures would be important.

I haven´t told you that they only output 5mW, I told you that the one in the blue host outputs ~22mW, like a overspec 5mW greenie you have in your shop.

john, i pmed you yesterday but I ended up getting my unit today and it outputs 45-65mw on my lpm. Very great laser :)