Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

pressing open can diode help needed

my first post to LPF (new member) I am looking for tools to press in open can diodes to both front face and rear face mounts, and any insight to doing so.
have a bad 650nm that is a open can diode and is rear face mounted to an o-like housing and have not a clue how to install the replacement diode with out damaging it, Holoween gig comming up soon need to get RGB up and running to fullfill show needs,
thanks,
BEAMANN

check the laser pro shop. flaminpyro sells a brass tool for pressing diodes. though they are made for aixiz module they may still work for your needs.
He sells tools for pressing them from the front, or back without damaging them.

I built a ghetto diode press that's served me well for the past year or so.. It's far from perfect, and if you've got the $15 or whatever to spare, I do suggest getting a real one, but if you want to be cheap about it, here's what I use:

You'll need:
The butt of an aixiz module
Two motherboard standoffs (if you built your own computer you've probably got some laying around, otherwise go to the nearest computer store and ask if they'll give you a couple for free)
A nut driver that will accept the standoffs, or some really long thin needlenose pliers.

This is what a standoff looks like, in case you're wondering:
images

Put the threaded end of a standoff into the hole at the end of an aixiz module, then use a nut driver to screw the other standoff inside the module. You can probably manage this without a nut driver, but it makes it a lot easier.

When you're done, you'll have an aixiz butt with a little brass bit hanging off the end. Find a pair of needlenose pliers with a wire cutter section. There should be an aixiz module sized hole on one end. Use this hole to grasp the aixiz butt, place the standoff hole over the diode (the standoff's hole should fit over the diode's pins), then press the pliers straight down, using the weight of your body if necessary.

It's ghetto, and it leaves a circular mark on the diode, but it works perfect every time, and it recesses the diode past the "lip" in the aixiz head, which is needed for the short focal length of 405's.

Thanks guys for you replys, the host I have is for rear face mounting of the diode and being a open can diode, maybe I sould'nt be dealing with these types of diodes and should be looking for sealed diodes in 640nm @150MW -200MW RANGE insted, Anybody have a spare 640nm 200mw diode they be willing to sell?
Emory

I told you we have a bunch of friendly and helpful guys here...glad to have you aboard.....Len

good tips from all-

pseudo--- thats a new one on me!! trying it tonite---T.Y.

Em--are those the diodes you got from me??

Last edited:
Err. Yeah, I completely neglected the part where you said you needed something to press specifically front-mount modules.

You're on your own. I don't really know what will help you. I suggest trying to find an old stereo, take apart its antenna, and find the section of antenna that fits over the die, then figure out some way of grasping the antenna while applying some ~50lbs of pressure. If you have a pipe cutter and a vice, it should be pretty easy.

Good luck!

I never throw away old radio antennas-- lots of uses-Pseudo just gave us another.

When you take an antenna part you often find thin copper pieces of various sizes that are inside to keep the whole thing from falling apart. These make excellant shims for keeping a module tight inside of a heatsink. I add a tiny dab of HS compound and being copper IMO they transfer the heat very well. much quicker and easier than drilling tapping a hole for a set screw.

I never throw away old radio antennas-- lots of uses-Pseudo just gave us another.

When you take an antenna part you often find thin copper pieces of various sizes that are inside to keep the whole thing from falling apart. These make excellant shims for keeping a module tight inside of a heatsink. I add a tiny dab of HS compound and being copper IMO they transfer the heat very well. much quicker and easier than drilling tapping a hole for a set screw.

Thanks Len, good Idea! I will keep that im my tool box.
I do have a lathe and mill, just very little exspensive tooling to work with,so every short cut helps.
Emory

Anybody needing dichro holders or turning mirror holders that are fully adjustable PM Emory- he has some at a great price-

They are not the smallest in the world and you need to re-shape the base a little ( to get 90 degrees) and remove the mirrors and alter to hold dichros but it is easy to do and the ones I got from him are going to save me a lot of $$ for my projector builds.